ARRGGHH! Double tonguing...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Friggin' Nomad, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Friggin' Nomad

Friggin' Nomad New Friend

May 1, 2011
    Well, everyone has their weaknesses. And I'm pretty sure that multi-tonguing is mine (unless I have an epiphany and things just start coming together). So some days my tonguing is good, actually quite good, and I'll get some confidence. Then the next day I'll come back and won't even be able to get though the first exercise on page 175 of the Arban's book decently :-(. I just started "actually" doing exercises, I changed teachers and he is often considered the best around here, but even with the great instruction I am afraid that I shall be forever doomed to double tongue slowly. One of the problems I think is my K-tongue is too hard, if that gives any insight. So my question is, has anyone ever struggled with double tonguing? And if so, how are you at it now and what did you do to get there?

2. Harrys

Harrys New Friend

Feb 8, 2012
    Just as a quick question, How are you double-tonguing?

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yes, still cant get it. Try the different ways, ta-ka, tu-ka, tu-cu, they-gay.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Single K tongue your clarke exercises... SLOW and EVEN. As slow as it takes so you don't sound like a bee stung you on the tongue.

SLOW!

EVEN!

gradually increase tempo until you can alternate TTTT with KKKK and they sound the same.

Then, back to the slow tempo, start alternating the T's & K's.

The way to tongue fast is to learn to tongue SLOW. Spitting into your mpc like a woodpecker is not the way.

5. Friggin' Nomad

May 1, 2011
    Well, I start slow, and focus on keeping the K-tongue smooth, then I'll speed up, and if I find I'm having problems, I'll go K-tongue in the clark book for a little while.

6. Friggin' Nomad

May 1, 2011
    This may not sound like a serious question, but it is. How do you know when you sound like a bee stung your tongue or you sound like a woodpecker.

7. Friggin' Nomad

May 1, 2011
    OK, so I just recorded myself, and it's one of those ones that shows you the sound waves. In the slower speeds, like 96-132, my K-tongue is longer because it's hitting the roof of my mouth and it makes it uneven. On the faster speeds, anything above 132, it's even because I'm going faster and my tongue doesn't have time to hit the roof of my mouth. So to get the slower speeds even, do I just sit there with a metronome and start tonguing slow and even?

8. Zeé

Zeé Pianissimo User

Aug 22, 2010
    I make the 'k' strike point as close as I can to where the 't' strike point is, it makes it easier to make the two sound alike (it also seems like the distance the tongue has to travel is less, feels like less work.)

Also, be sure to keep the air moving. Don't get so caught up in the mechanics that the air stream falls off.

Jiarby's right, practice some just using k-tonguing every day, so you get good enough that it's fast & clean.

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Bee stung is when you sound like you are gagging on the back of your tongue...
    Woodpeckering is just sloppy uneven harshness because you are trying to go faster than you can. Too much tongue and spit... no enough air.