ARRGGHH! Double tonguing...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Friggin' Nomad, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Relax, and let your tongue "melt in your mouth." That, along with good 'ol Arbans, should do the trick.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    What advice and support is your teacher giving you on this? When I teach double tonguing I help my students know what to expect as they develop.

3. Friggin' Nomad

Friggin' Nomad New Friend

May 1, 2011
    Well, I am only "starting" with my teacher, but I actually started trying a year ago. I'm actually doing better than I was early this week. I really just had a terrible day. But I woke up to the next one and been doing alright ever since.

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    After some health problems I ended up re-teaching myself to double tongue a few years ago. First I had to abandon my previous Ta-Ka style, finally settling on Tu-Ku. Then I set about building consistency on a single tone--quite slowly 80-90 bpm. After I got that down I began playing music using an alternating Tu-Ku system to play--half notes. whole notes, whatever the first one was Tu the one following was Ku and you just dept alternating. Once I had become so comfortable playing this way adding speed wasn't a problem at all. The foundation was already built the speed was just the frosting on the cake.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Try doing: Arr ggaahh Arr ggaahh Arr ggaahh Arr ggaahh Arr ggaahh Arr ggaahh Arr ggaahh Arr ggaahh; and turn that double tonguing frustration into success.