Arrhg Help ideas for shepherds

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    or a counter melody .. so it would go something like vs1 melody only ...vs2 counter melody only .. then either another melody only and the both the counter with the melody for vs 4 .. or just go right into the counter and melody together after vs 2

or

is a half step modulation out of the question?

2. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Show off! :-P

3. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I've got it! Just the thing. Check this out...

How about you get the kids dressed up in costumes, as has been previously mentioned, but not necessarily Christmas ones because that's too obvious. Things like Marie Antoinette, a gladiator, an ewok, Dubya etc. Start off by having them play 'While Shepherds Watched' and then after a couple of bars (because it's boring and traditional) have them launch into the 'Horst Wessel Lied' with lots of strutting up and down, then finish by carefully blending that back into 'While Shepherds' but this time they actually sing it but with the 'While Shepherds Washed' lyrics because it's funnier that way and you wouldn't want to bore the audience, and as a final gag, they take their socks off, hopping on one foot, then the next, still playing instruments, then smell each others' socks. Just a idea I got from somewhere...

It's music and it's entertaining...

(...apparently!)

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    RA I love that While Mnozil Washed their Socks eh

5. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Mnozil? Who said anything about Mnozil? I wouldn't dare to parody the demigods of musical exposition! They are music!

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    If your using the tune I know (Winchester Old), then 'Singing in the Rain' fits over it pretty well perfectly. (skip the dumty-dum-dum intro)

Both in concert F too ;-)

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thanks Seth, that's a new one on me. After two days of stressing I sat down this morning and the thing just flowed, two days ago I couldn't even write a simple descant, half past five this morning and it's done with a coda and a nice plagal cadence to finish it

Thanks for the input guys