Arrrgh!Andy Williams' Most Wonderful Time of the Year, but most hated chipped note!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpopbop, Dec 17, 2014.

1. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    This time of year is filled with joy and great traditional Christmas tunes that stir the thick memories of holidays past. However, there's one tune that drives me nuts.

Andy Williams' Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Because it was a #1 holiday tune on his most popular 1963 Christmas album, every radio station and streaming channel plays the tar out of it. It's a wonderful tune, and performance by Mr. Williams. The arrangement is fantastic and one of iconic Christmas tunes of all-time.

But that last note....

:bash:

I would hate to be the lead trumpet player who chipped that final F. That mistake lives on, year after year, for every generation to hear. I guess one more take wasn't in the budget.

To borrow from FDR, that F is a note "that will live in infamy."

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Re: Arrrgh!Andy Williams' Most Wonderful Time of the Year, but most hated chipped not

My candidates, "Little Drummer Boy" and"Rockin' around the Christmas tree".

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Re: Arrrgh!Andy Williams' Most Wonderful Time of the Year, but most hated chipped not

I've been noodling "Here comes Santa Claus" and the fingering makes me nuts.... Never did like the 1st and 3rd in any fast combo.... UUURRGGHHHH

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT

Could have fooled me that that note was wrong. I grew up with it sounding that way

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC

That note isn't wrong. That's just jazz, baby! :cool: ROFL

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro

great, now I will hear it .. never had ... great.. there goes the holiday

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA

VERY nice. Thanks, Rowuk

9. Fluegel-Boy

Fluegel-Boy Pianissimo User

Feb 19, 2013

I have been thinking the exact same thing for years about the budget because I couldn't believe that they left that in. A couple years ago I was at a golfing buddy's house for Christmas and they played this on the radio. He's not a musician, but I still pointed out to him that the trumpet player misses the last note. He told me, "Only YOU would hear that!"

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC

I think it had a lot more to do with how music was recorded in 1963. It very likely was a full take on a sound stage for every version once the mics were set, and the version we hear on the radio is the best one they got.