Arrrgh!Andy Williams' Most Wonderful Time of the Year, but most hated chipped note!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpopbop, Dec 17, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Re: Arrrgh!Andy Williams' Most Wonderful Time of the Year, but most hated chipped not

They took the cut where Andy Williams did best - screw the orchestra!

I found 4 or 5 different recorded performances of 3 different versions by Andy Williams. The one "marginal" one is on a collection of Christmas songs, the one I linked to was from a TV special that ran every year. It was obviously recorded somewhere else with a different engineer and band. We used to watch those specials at home. My folks trashed all of the records though.

I have a Sinatra collection with a missed note in New York, New York. So what! I bleed red just like those guys do and am greatful when my best take is the one that gets chosen - it doesn't always happen though!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Re: Arrrgh!Andy Williams' Most Wonderful Time of the Year, but most hated chipped not

Speaking of jazz, my favorite is the Christmas Song sung by the man himself, Mel Torrme.

3. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States

Now that I hear it, I don't think it sounds that bad. It fit in in the past, and it has that "jazz chord" sound even if it's out of place. I guess that lead player was just human...

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama

Did a web check and hear it in the first U tube version that pops up. Previously didn't notice it, -figured it was the 7th and written that way, but hear the root in several other versions.

Yes, it does seem unusual that they would leave it in considering his stature in music. Once on a cruise we were able to talk with a fellow that had been his music director after his main guy had a heart attack. Didn't get the feeling from him that Williams let much slide. Would figure he would have say on which take got used, but don't know the business. I'm just going to hear it is jazz. He was always my favorite Christmas singer.

ConnDirectorFan likes this.