Article on Forums

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AKtrumpet, Dec 13, 2011.

1. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    I read this article earlier today and I thought I'd put it here because I know several members of the TM community try to carry out it's general message.

I thought it was very insightful.

Douglas Yeo: What Happened to the Internet?

Please, actually read it, and not skim, before posting your opinion. :-)

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Agreed. (That's all there is to say to that in my opinion)

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Well this was a pretty interesting read. Much of what he said was pretty right on. The problem with a treatise like this is that it does have an agenda or main point and subsequently each section is in support of the premise.
    I do not run a forum so I haven't walked a mile in his shoes. I guess if I had a vision for a forum and witnessed it's demise I would be upset.
    When I think of Rowuk's saying " spoon fed" it really does support his frustration.
    If someone were to ask me "why do I spend time on TM" my response wouldn't be limited to finding facts about trumpet playing or to see my writing in print. I have learned quite a bit through this forum. Things I didn't know or learn through traditional venues. It's fun. It beats going to a bar after work and talking about sports. Has it helped me to become a better trumpet player? Absolutely.
    I have never asked the Administrators if they are happy with how this forum has progressed but my gut is they would say not too shabby.... the reason? Trumpet players rock!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Doug Yeo is a monster player and has a good mind. Our Artists in Residence are monster players and have good minds. Our moderators play well and have good minds. Does this give any of us the right to censor? Not really, in my opinion.

TM is at once a true forum and a rowdy bar. If we limited TM to truth we'd have a bunch of overworked moderators deleting posts we didn't like. My main job is to keep the cell-phone posts out, and kick in with my two cents worth of knowledge when a thread is interesting.

High-School and early College students giving advice is a pain to read, as is some of the advice from older amateurs, but we learn who to trust--worked back in the day when most of the knowledge passed down was oral.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    word

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I like what Vulgano said. I discount what HS and College players say because we were all in their shoes. They bring naivitey and innocense and curiosity to the conversation. In addition, they are going to take over the cause when we are playing Christmas Carols in the rest home. I have one more comment from todays post about the difference between a pro and beginner trumpet. A trumpet "becomes" a pro horn when a pro picks it up and plays it.Wouldn't it be nice if we could just pick out the "right" equipment and start making a good living with our music.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I also agree with what Vulgano Brother has to say, and I work my darndist to give the best advice possible, and try to research out the information as much as possible, but really take pride in providing medical advice as my real expertise in contributing to this forum.

As important, I want to thank Chuck Cox related to the above quote. It took me 40+ years but Chuck's expertise and highly respected input lead me to the "right" equipment that has truly enhanced my performance as a musician. I really love this site, and Chuck, thank you again for inspiring me to find a new potential

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I agree with Vulgano, except to say that I do read some posts from High School and early College students. They can often help us through our "professional blindness".

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Douglas Yeo made a lot of strong points in his article.

One of the strongest is the growth of the entitlement attitude.

At 48 I don't think I'm old, and know I'm not young.

But at 48 I can see how the entitlement attitude has ruined a lot of what was great about our society.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I also like him reminding us that information is not Knowledge. However, it may be that the only ones to understand concepts like that are the ones who know it anyway. Like trying to explain the excitement of the days of pre Japanese influenced hi-fi (replacing valves, building speaker cabinets) to a kid with his iPod.