Article on Miles by Stanley Crouch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dow30, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Joe DiMonte

Joe DiMonte Mezzo Forte User

Apr 30, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    LOL
    That 1964 Lincoln Center concert was the last time I saw Miles perform Live.
    The one thing that Stanley said that I totally agreed with was George Coleman's tenor performance.
    If I remember correctly,George played two solo's and was an instant hit and immediately became one of my favorite tenor players.

2. Joe DiMonte

Joe DiMonte Mezzo Forte User

Apr 30, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    Miles evolved in 10 year cycles at the beginning of his career. 1949: Birth of the Cool, 1959: Kind of Blue, 1969: Bitches Brew.

I'm new to this joint (after spending over 10 years on AOL) and have been following your commentary since my arrival.
    First,let me admit that I parted company with Miles in 1963/64 after Lee Morgan's return to the scene,and am interested in learning more about your comments about Miles in 1969.

Your friend in Jazz
    KJ

3. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    In 1989, Wynton came out with The Majesty of the Blues, a piece that included a lengthy sermon spoken on the disc, written by crouch. The sermon is a jazz manifesto based mainly on the aesthetics principals set forth in Albert Murray's Stomping the Blues. Wynton sounded different on that album, too. His sound was dirtier, more gutteral. Less Miles, more Louie.
    -Jimi[/quote]

To me it was more Cootie Williams than Louie, especially the plunger stuff. Louis wasn't really a plunger player.

Michael McLaughlin

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." Oscar Wilde