articulate quickly

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vincentpayne, Sep 23, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Isn't that kind of what I said? If you want to learn to articulate quickly, you just need to do it. Push it in the practice room and find that balance point - build it up, slow it down, build it up, etc. While muscle endurance is a part of it, using your air correctly is just as important.

It isn't the specfics of the exercise that is going to help you as much as it's the action itself.

2. vincentpayne

vincentpayne New Friend

Sep 23, 2010
    hello
    after one month of hard work
    it s always difficult for me to range 120 bpm with simple tonguing

i tried a lot of exercises ( slur 16 notes and tongue after ...work on the K ... try to muscle my tongue ....... ) and i m sad but motived to continue to work ....

i m sad because my friends tell me i ve got a nice sound and nice high notes .... but to single tongue at 120 ...; it s impossible ..

if someone could help me ? thks

3. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    just to clarify, when talking about articulating at say 104bpm we are talking about semiquavers aren't we? (4 notes / beat)

4. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    You can actually practice tonguing without the trumpet as well. The more relaxed your tongue is, the faster you will be able to tongue. Having a stiff tongue will get you tired fast. Using the syllables da da da, instead of tu tu tu, will help you to relax. Try practicing without the trumpet, just saying dadadadada. Stay relaxed. You can add syllables as it becomes easier.

Practice slow legato double tonguing in the same way, in order not to have a gap between your single and double tongue.

5. vincentpayne

vincentpayne New Friend

Sep 23, 2010
    yes ! of course :)

6. vincentpayne

vincentpayne New Friend

Sep 23, 2010
    of course for semiquavers sorry

7. vincentpayne

vincentpayne New Friend

Sep 23, 2010
    thanks SOL !

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk has supplied some good info about breathing. Also, you might want to check out doodle tonguing. If you want an example of this method, Clark Terry is very good at this technique.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I see that all the posters have talked about the tongue and no one has talked about the air. It's the air that makes the tongue work Without proper support the tongue can not maintain rapid single tonguing for very long if at all. You must blow THROUGH the horn. keep the tongue relaxed. Use only the tip/end of the tongue to keep tongue movement to a minimum.

Start on page 28 #19 in thr Arban's book. Follow all instructions. If you have any more questions contact me.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    4 weeks is nothing. Success is measured in MONTHS and YEARS.

Articulation as the trumpet needs it is NOT a natural, human body reflex. You need to learn a new feature set. If you are not prepared to take the time necessary, then learning to play the radio is often an easier thing to do with more immediate success.