Articulation: "Doy" ??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by L J Blackler, Apr 26, 2015.

1. L J Blackler

L J Blackler New Friend

Apr 23, 2015
    Lincoln, UK
    Hello there,
    Pro musician here recently taken up the trumpet for the first time. I began studying, watching tutorials and learning the finger patterns months before I finally bought a trumpet so that I would approach the early stages with a clear idea of what I was aiming for and what I was trying to avoid.
    It's going well so far, but...

When I use my practise mute (Bremner SshhhMute) I find it impossible to double tongue without a weird "eee" sound as I am changing from an open "Too" to "Koo" ...... So it sounds like "Toy Koo" or "Doy Koo"

Is this something that will go away as I build up strength practising with a mute or do you all think I have a fundamental problem I need to correct early?

Thanks for your help gang, very glad to be here

Laurence xX

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, L J Blackler!

With the practice mute we get a lot of information to our ears through our jaw, so things can sound funny. Ideally the muted "Toy-Koo" sounds like "Too-Koo" in the room without a mute.

To get a cleaner "Too-Koo" with the mute is worth striving for, however, and in time the "Toy-Koo" will go away.

Have fun with your new toys!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Impressive that so soon you have graduated to double tonguing. So soon you have graduated to reading the advice of Vulgaon Brother. You cannot get better advice than his. Welcome to TM.

4. L J Blackler

L J Blackler New Friend

Apr 23, 2015
    Lincoln, UK
    Gosh, Thank you for your replies and such a warm welcome.

What you have both said is nicely reassuring as I don't get the weird effect without a mute and only slightly with my other mute, which my lovely fiancé refers to as "Mr Harmon without his quacker in" . Cute.

Here's to a bright future!

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    double tonguing AND playing for his fiance' .... boldness of a true trumpeter!!
    keep it up ..

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Anybody who's a fiancée who'll put up with trumpet practice is a friend in my book.