Articulation Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BHSBrass, Oct 7, 2008.

1. BHSBrass

BHSBrass New Friend

May 20, 2008
    Hello everyone,

I have recently discovered at close examination that I tounge to close to the bottom of my teeth, almost in between the sets of teeth. My attacks don't really have an airy sound and I was wondering if I should pretty much reset my playstyle to tounge up at the top of the teeth where the gums meet the teeth.

I am hesitant to do this due to the amount of time it will take to get my articulation back into full swing, but if needed will do so.

Any helps is much appriciated.

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I spent most of the last year of my life fixing my articulation from what was a crappy anchor tongue with no clarity, to pretty much between the teeth, to the textbook tip at the top of the top teeth. It was worth the effort I put in, big time.

I read a lot about it in Hickman's pedagogy book, the Fox Essentials of Brass Playing and some internet searching (don't listen to most of the people though, hah). I spent hours and hours with my bell 2 inches from the wall trying to figure it out.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I suppose that I am a poor one to comment on this. I have never had a problem with articulation since, at a very early stage in my cornet developement my dad simply told me that whatever I did in pronouncing the letter 'T' is what I needed to do for proper articulation. It has obviously worked.

OLDLOU>>

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    Changing your articulation changes EVERYTHING happening in your mouth and can destroy your playing until completely reorganized.
    If you have a decent sound, enough range for what you are playing and no real issues with your tonguing, DO NOT listen to people only interested in giving you things to worry about.
    I would not attempt anything like this without extended professional help!

5. joefab

joefab Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2008
    Hello,

I know this is going to sound extremely stupid....but, what exactly is articulation?

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
  7. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    Joe,
    There is no such thing as a stupid Question!
    God Bless You, That's how we learn.
    Keep on asking......Even when you think you have the answer!

8. joefab

joefab Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2008
    aha!!! I got it....thanks guys...

9. BHSBrass

BHSBrass New Friend

May 20, 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I've decided after much deliberation to not change my tounging style, I spent a good two hours trying every type of articulation and had trouble with none so I am just going to stick with it and work on my speed and style.

Much regards to everyone who gave me help.

10. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    how do you fix something like that? Isn't that just natural?