Articulation - How did he?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, since reading through Dr. Mark's thread about tongue in high register, about Rafael Mendez.

I can not find any information regarding how he went about articulation. All I was able to read this " Mendez had a very slow single tongue as a kid. His father taught him how to double tongue early on. This formed the basis of his easy and fluent double tonguing." His slow tonguing developed into that real clean articulation that he has that I haven't seen anyone else really have at that speed that he plays at. Most trumpet players when things get fast, the notes become more attached rather than detached like Mendez. I like his choppiness.

What is this slow tongue he developed?

Does anyone have any information regarding his use of tongue and articulation?

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

3. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I remember listening to him playing "Moto Perpetuo" when i was 16 or 17 and thought, "Wow, i've got to play like that."
    I looked it on the metubes right now, then started three tabs of it at once, random spacing. Holy molie, it still sounds amazing.
    Such crisp, very define, wow.