Articulation in the higher register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I find there are times when I am doing quick articulations in the higher register (above the staff) that the attack tends to get sharp (pointed, cracky). This is not consistent, and I thought it just be air usage, but I wanted to ask if this has happened to others before. Note this usually happens towards the end of practicing, when I start getting worn. I don't think it is JUST being tired though --could be wrong though.

Thanks, Mark

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yup -- happens to me when I get tired --- so I take a break, and comeback a few minutes later, and crack out a couple of riffs slightly above the staff -- (you know, just to "ease my mind" that I can do it that particular day) -- and realize I am just getting too tired to have an EFFECTIVE practice at that level --so then I play a few low notes, a couple of long very soft lower notes --- and call it a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like you are normal -- or we are both just a wee bit crazy -- I opt for NORMAL though -- it sounds much better ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places
    I agree with you. Lots of problems can develop in the upper register. What I did to get over these kinds of issues, was to go back to the old Arbans book and play those songs that are in towards the back. You know, the ‘easy’ ones! Anyway, I play them up an octave and concentrate on playing them as melodically beautiful and accurate as I would in the written register. I don’t know if this is true, but I heard that Bill Chase used to do this

Also, I am constantly pushing my range. I have just started playing again after a five year layoff, and my range is up to about a double ‘C’. However, the effective range, that I can use and play in regular music, is only about an ‘F’ or a ‘G’. I know from experience that I can and will work this back up. But, need to push that ‘top end’ to get that ‘effective’ range to go up.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that I treat the upper register like I would lower registers and incorporate them into my practice routines. Good luck!

4. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places
    I know it is different with everybody, but I got away from any kind of a ‘warm down’. Bobby Shew teaches something like ‘muscle memory’, and he says he wants the last thing his muscles to remember is victory, not something loose. It works for me, but I know it won’t work for everyone. What I do, recommended by Mr. Shew, is to make the last note I play at the end of the day the extreme high note I can play accurately and with power. What I have found by doing this is that I can slowly watch my range increase by about a half step every two weeks or so. Again, I know this isn’t for everyone, and I hesitate to mention it because it might have the potential to mess with someone embouchure. But I hope this was helpful! Good luck!

5. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL

Yes, this makes sense. I'm sure KT agrees as well!
    I recently have been focusing on flexibility and flow; I think I may have neglected the upper end of my range (for long tones). Always goes back to those.
    Thanks for the post!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I concur -- the only way to be an effective player in the high range is to practice and play there ----- and it takes time --- WOW, you and I are "NORMAL", just like the OP, --- or we are all a wee bit crazy ---- and YET, 3 of us being NORMAL sounds better, and is certainly starting to be a quorum, or a group of NORMAL trumpet players ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places
    Normal!!!???!???!?!? Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! I can’t stop laughing! Thank you for making my day! LOL!!

8. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    I have read in a couple of places that it helps to use TEE with upper register articulation rather than TU or TUH. I have been using this myself lately and it does seem to help. I think it helps by focusing your air stream and it seems to put the tongue in a better position for sharper articulation.

I wrote more about this on my blog. Here is the link to that post Improving Articulation in High Range - TimsTrumpetPlace

9. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Thank you Tim -- again, your blog is excellent.

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Wait just a minute here…….NORMAL TRUMPET PLAYERS …..I’ve never heard this term… So I looked it up in the Wikipedia Dictionary and it said “See Oxymoron” : )