Articulation in the higher register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Dec 14, 2011.

1. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    iw63boomer, do you happen to have a link to the article where Bobby says that? I'd be interested to do some more reading around the idea, as it's something that I've wondered about.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My medical dictionary defines Oxymoron is Kingtrumpet with 2 liters nasal cannula oxygen running.:dontknow:

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think what Mark describes IS common place. I believe it has to do with keeping on target with the "Sweet" spot on the mouthpiece. Being in the most relaxed state, not readjusting or tensing up to alter your technique, in other words, staying on the "sweet" spot is key.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, sounds like I'm on the right track then. I'll have to be careful to not tense up when tonguing. Happens less on my Bobby Shew 2, of course we can imagine why, and seems to fit this explanation

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think it is just being tired and your chops cannot support what you are trying to do. I don't see it any differently than developing other aspects of playing. Thats why we practice and practice makes perfect. Then you move on to something you can't do. This process continues until you draw your last breath, or should.

6. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    We (trumpet players) are normal, in fact, we set the standard for normal. It's everyone else that is abnormal. :grouphug::roll:

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    For me it is an improvement, recently I have been feeling pretty comfortable hitting those notes above staff anytime I please, but now the interesting part making them sound good consistently. :D It is hard to tell, but I feel like in a mix of drums and winds in an open setting they might not actually sound all that bad. Could just be the small practice room sound.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Musk Ox Pictures