Articulation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Spleeyah!, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    Manny,

I've been having problems with articulation. Mostly in the upper register, how can I achieve that crisp clear articulation up there? Right now it's on the heavier side and almost 'fracky'. Range and endurance are actually some of my strong points, so I don't think it's that I'm tryin to articulate at the top of my range. *sigh* It's just all very frustrating in the practice room when I try to figure it out, y'know?

Also, what could I do to lighten up my articulation as a whole in all registers?

I recorded the masterclass you gave a few years ago down here at TxTech, and I could've sworn that this issue came up in a question, but I went back and reviewed the tape and noone asked you about this. :-?

Thanks for you help on this!

- Brad

2. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    where is your tongue hitting in your mouth?
    are you using the tip of your tongue or the back?
    is your tongue coming through your teeth?
    are you using enough air/wind?
    all things to think about

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Brad,

An inconsistent sound in the upper register can have to do with many things as TG points out. I'm willing to bet, however, that

1) you're not approaching what you do with high notes in the same way as with the middle and lower notes

or

2) what you are doing in the middle register may be flawed and is more apparent in the upper register.

You have to make sure that you aren't pressurizing so much inside your mouth that you can barely move in a relaxed way. The pressurizing is cause by raising your tongue up so high as a result of a very tight stomach.

Take a breath and just quietly go toh-toh-toh-toh-toh while exhaling in a relaxed way. Don't activate the vocal chords. If it sounds like tsu-tsu-tsu-tsu-tsu, your tongue is high and in the way.

It's like an exasperated sigh, gently interrupted by the tongue to produce the repeated toh sound I mentioned. Middle, high, or low, this is the approach that will deliver best results if you're looking for a richer quality to the sound. If you replace internal pressure with a relaxed release, you'll be rid of the fracks you're talking about provided you're playing in the center of the tone.

Good luck,

ML

4. Spleeyah!

Apr 6, 2005
    Hmm, never thought of it from that angle before. I'll definitely check it out, Thanks for the wisdom! :D

- Brad

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    HAHA!! That's four peeps from Tech! I think that ought to make Manny an Honorable Trumpet Teacher Doctor for Tech or something! lol

Hi Brad!! You're such a loser! Shutup, shutup, shutup.... lol.

(Actually, Brad is a kickass player, he'll make a good orchestra one day.)

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I loved my time at Texas Tech!

Y'all tell Will Strider that I'm ready and willing to come back there again to playand teach anytime. You guys are my homies and I mean that. I get to speak Spanish, hang with Texans, eat great BBQ and Mexican food, and play with people who know know how to play mariachi.

For me, that's a li'l slice o' heaven...

Guns Up! > <

ML

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    HISSS!!

BTHO Texas Tech, A-A-A WHOOP!

I'm sorry, I'm up way too late and that was just too good a chance to pass up

8. Spleeyah!

Apr 6, 2005
    oh jeez, when will aggies get over themselves? haha. :lol:

Hey BigAggie, what year are you? Did you know Mike Farber, he graduated from the corps and whatever last May. played trpt in HS here in lubbock, good friend of mine, known him a long time. Just wonderin if you knew him.

Manny,

I'll definitely give the message to Willie. We really enjoyed havin you here too, i was just a freshman last time you came down. I think it'd be good for the younger kids here to pick your brain for a while at a masterclass and here you play (ok, not JUST the younger guys). I know i really enjoyed the MC you did here. But, Manny.....takin excerpt requests??...c'mon, what were ya thinking, you had to KNOW someone was gonna ask for Alpine!! :cool:. It was still really cool though!

9. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Hey Brad, long time no see. Welcome to TM

10. Ai_Dygress

Ai_Dygress Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2005
    IL
    oh no..

Texas Tech...

I'm from Austin.