Articulations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by irishcornetboy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. irishcornetboy

irishcornetboy Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2008
    I cannot articulate very fast or cleanly (esp. in the upper register) Are there any exersizes i could do to help this?

2. -Tyler-

-Tyler- New Friend

Sep 7, 2008
    The best method I have used is single tonguing sixteenth notes, assuming you want to speed up single tonguing.

My director told me this:

Find how fast you can currently play straight sixteenths for 12 counts. I recommend this on a note you can do this the fastest. For me it was C5. Or if you want to work on high notes, try an A or G above the bar line. You'll need a metronome for this. Write your tempo number down. Then when you can't go any faster, see your speed on 8 counts of straight sixteenths. Find your 4 and 2 count limits. Practice at these limits for about a week. Usually each exercise should only take 3 minutes. After the week is over, set new limits. Repeat this for a while, and you will notice drastic improvement. I went from 12 counts of 16th notes at 88 bpm to 124 bpm in about 2 months.

Make sure to keep your tongue light, tongue slightly above your teeth, and use lots of air.

Try double tonguing too, probably after you can single tongue good. But double tonguing is much harder too, so practice hard.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
    irishcornetboy likes this.
  3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Arbans scale studies are a good place to start.

irishcornetboy likes this.
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only thing that works is to start slowly and practice accuracy. The sooner you have a CLEAN slow attack, the sooner fast will come!

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Blow evenly, or play the vowel of the note
    if you emphasize the beginning "the attack" too much, you slow yourself down.

6. irishcornetboy

irishcornetboy Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks guys. Ill thry those out

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    One very important part of tonguing is that THE AIE MAKES THE TONGUE WORK. Almoat al tonguing problems are from a poor use of the air. the air supports the tongue. without proper air flow the tongue in effect "stalls" The Arban exercises are very good. start SLOW and blow through each note. Ignore the Staccato at first to keep good air flow. as your tongue becomes better your speed will increase natually. also playing scales is good for the tongue. you can play repeated notes on each note of a scale. Try playing eight repeated notes on each note of a scale. Remember AIR FLOW!!!

Bob G