ARTURO IN TENERIFE

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by PINCHUNO, Jul 7, 2005.

1. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    On tuesday I saw Arturo with his septet. First off, he was a lot thinner than I remember! He played less trumpet than usual, but when he did play........gentleman (the Arturo bashers) I don't know what kind of Arturo shows you have all been watching recently, but Arturo blew his balls off!! He and Ed Calle on tenor, played very well. The exposition of the themes alone on some of the numbers was brilliant. He didn´'t resort to his usual bag of tricks, he played some very nice lines (yes, the fast ones too) and his high notes were there nice and clean too.
    His flugel sounded great and his piano playing was excellent. Because he was playing in front of a Spanish speaking crowd on the island where his grandfather came from, he was very relaxed and they played a lot more latin/timba type tunes than they might have played elsewhere. Ed Calle was tremendous. The rest of the band where very good also. He also did a scat number, which I'm sure you've heard before, where he recreates a double bass solo. I don't know how he carries it off in English, but in Spanish it was hilarious! On the last number he finished off playing an arpeggio from pedal c to triple c and the sound was huge:eek. If he had to make an adjustment to his embouchure, so what? On this night at least he displayed control over all the aspects of trumpet playing, double and triple tonguing, great flexibility range and a good sound. He was playing a silver trumpet which I had not seen him playing before. Anyone know what make it is? By the way, just in case anyone thinks I adore all that Arturo has done, I too thought that his version of "Maynard Ferguson" was crappy:rollin

2. tasteebro mike

tasteebro mike New Friend

Jul 5, 2005
    arturo sandoval's trumpet

i think i might know who makes arturo's trumpet you could not identify, as you may or may not know Leblanc makes most of maynard's and aturo's trumpets and flugle horns. You can go to to www.glebanc.com and see maynard newest horn!!!! and also some of aturo's trumpets and alot of his flugle horns

3. tasteebro mike

Jul 5, 2005
  4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    tasteebro Mike wrote:
    Teste bro, Maynard plays a Monette.

-cw-

5. tasteebro mike

Jul 5, 2005
    I KNOW!!! ive been on maynard tour bus and saw his trumpet up close!!!!!
    im just saying the regular mf horns availabl to the public are holton 307s and so forth, and they are distributed by leblanc, same story with Arturo.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I understand the Holton is no longer making the MF horns.
    But I've been wrong before.

-cw-

7. tasteebro mike

Jul 5, 2005
    thats ok man, i wasnt really mad or anything, im just serious about Maynard.

8. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Arturo in Tenerife part 2

Having said all of the above, some friends of mine who were playing in the warm up band, said he was very rude to fans who had been waiting for more than an hour to see him and that he showed no respect for the other musicians in his band or the warm up band and he complained to the organisation asking why his picture wasn't the biggest in the publicity for the Heineken festival this year! "I've won 4 grammies!" Etc Etc. I don't suppose he considered the other artists attending this year were Joe Lovano, Hank Jones, Carlinhos Brown, Lee Ritenour; Ernie Watts, Hiromi to be as important as him:x Yet again another class act from Mr Sandoval.

9. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    He must of had a bad day...I have always heard his is a great guy from others who have met and talked to him..... :-)

10. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    Re: arturo sandoval's trumpet

Maynard is playing Monettes now.