Arturo...new horn?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by dcbrown1, Oct 6, 2005.

1. dcbrown1

dcbrown1 Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2005
    Check out www.arturosandoval.com and note the horn he's playing. Doesn't look like any Leblanc or Schilke that I've ever seen. Anyone know what this is...and whether or not he's still with Leblanc? Perhaps this is old news, but it's the first I've seen of it.

2. dcbrown1

dcbrown1 Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2005
    In looking at this more closely...it looks like it might be a Selmer Concept TT.

3. Bebop2

Bebop2 New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    New Horn

Your right, it might be a Selmer TT or an Selmer 80J. I would think he would like the spread sound of the TT better than the more focused sound of the 80J. The Selmer TT is more like his current horn, but with better slotting.
    Jim

4. Schilkeman

Schilkeman New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    I copied that photo and expanded it and it looks like the horn says Concept TT on the leadpipe.

Archie

5. Dr. Stu

Dr. Stu New Friend

Sep 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    And isn't he now playing a Kanstul Flugelhorn & not the LeBlanc?

-Stu

6. dcbrown1

dcbrown1 Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2005
    He used to play the Kanstul 1525...then worked with Leblanc to rip off the design (ala the Schilke trumpet). Has anyone heard whether he has officially split with Leblanc...or whether Leblanc has stopped paying Arturo?

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    He has never gone away from the Kanstul 1525. The horn he plays is one just like you and I can buy -- very little custom work. Doc also plays the 1525.

He never used the Leblanc as his performing or recording horn. They simply paid him for the use of his name. The only time he used that instrument was when he was doing a job paid for by Leblanc.

8. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    dcbrown1,.......On that website, if you click on 'biography' you hear a slow ballad piece played with a florid, latin style. Do you know what that piece is please?.....and is it a published item?

9. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    check out his tour schedule. Looks like he's gonna be busy for awhile. :-)

If all goes as planned I will be seeing him in January and Febuary in Minneapolis. according to his tour dates. That is one musician I will see every chance I get....I really like his style!! ;-)

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Is it my imagination or has Sandoval changed horn brands with surprising frequency? Think about it... what other well-known trumpet artist has gone through so many different brands of instruments in the last, say, 10 years? Not models, brands. It surprises me but I don't know if it's just my perception.

ML