Arturo Sandoval at the Dayton Brass Day 2014

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cyber_shake, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi cyber-shake
    You stated:
    "The 2nd student shocked everyone by playing the intro riff to 'MF' with amazing energy and ability (better than the original 1950 recording that I own of the Boss playing it), but couldn't even begin to articulate the slow singing passage that followed.
    -----
    Just damned. Why open a can of worms and compare?
    Dr.Mark

2. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    To Dr.Mark, I thought about what I would write for quite a while before posting. After posting, I knew there would be some sparks, but I'm not sorry for what I wrote. I am only aware of 2 people ever recording the song 'Maynard Ferguson', being the Boss himself and Arturo. When you play an artist's feature or self-titled song, there is always going to be comparison. I have listened to my old 'Stan Kenton presents' album countless times, and have always been astonished by the song. You can see/hear it on youtube by searching 'maynard ferguson, ed sullivan, stan kenton' ... And you'll love the band's outfits too. Bottom line, in our politically correct driven society, everyone seems afraid to critique or compare anything. I find great joy in music, and look for the positives ... But that doesn't mean there isn't benefit in analysis and even correction. The young man who played the song has more raw talent than 9 out of 10 trumpet players in the world ... With good coaching and hard practice, he could change the musical world ... Maybe even be compared to MF!

3. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Andrea Tofanelli. Great version. IMO opinion better by far than Sandoval's.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Scott Englebright recorded it in college at UNT in the mid 1990's. There is a youTube video out there.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi cyber-shake,
    You stated:
    "Bottom line, in our politically correct driven society, everyone seems afraid to critique or compare anything."
    ------------
    This has nothing to do with being polite or politically correct. Each version has it's merits. It took me a long time to get to the point where I don't compare. I just enjoy and isn't that the big trick? Music is art and when we take the time to simply, enjoy then we get the benefits from it. How do we compare? Based on what? Why not just enjoy. Also, if I know something is going to create sparks, then the question becomes, to what end?
    Maynard and Sandoval can be compared? How about Miles and Jensen? or me and rowuk? I just think that if we can listen without prejudice, then we get all the pleasure without any of the negatives.
    -----
    I find great joy in music, and look for the positives ... But that doesn't mean there isn't benefit in analysis and even correction.
    -----
    You're talking about art, right?
    -----
    The young man who played the song has more raw talent than 9 out of 10 trumpet players in the world ... With good coaching and hard practice, he could change the musical world ... Maybe even be compared to MF!"
    -----
    Different strokes for different folks. I'll choose to avoid comparisons and sit back and enjoy. I'll leave the "striving to be better and the comparisons" to the artists who are creating. Like I said, different strokes for different folks.
    Dr.Mark

6. Wondra

Wondra Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2007
    Blaine - thanks for taking the time to give us a report, including video - I appreciate it! Dave