Arturo Sandoval at Yoshi's

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gary Garcia, May 4, 2009.

1. Gary Garcia

Gary Garcia Pianissimo User

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    Wow,we saw Arturo Sandoval saturday night at Yoshi's in Oakland.What a great musician and showman.He played to everyone's delight for one and a half hours. I was able to visit with him before the show and he autographed my "Wild Thing"trumpet.He played a few songs other trumpet greats made famous as well as his own compositions.All I can say Is"WOW". If he is ever in your area, you must see him----Gar

2. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    Yea, he is the best trumpet player I've ever heard/seen live... congrats on seeing him and getting your trumpet signed, Id love to see pics of it.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Gary,

an absolutely AWESOME, INSPIRATIONAL musician! Everybody owes it to themselves to experience the FIRE!

Did you bring your horn along just in case he needed help? Just kidding!

How are you going to clean your horn without removing the autograph?

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  4. Gary Garcia

Gary Garcia Pianissimo User

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    I'm going to clean it very carefully.I have a Martin Committee signed by Chris Botti that is also very carefully cleaned without damage. My mom always taught me pride of ownership.---Gar

5. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    iv heard of something called a trumpet spitt ball, or something like that, that you blow it through the horn and it cleans it up. has anyone ever used one?

6. Ross

Ross New Friend

Mar 7, 2007
    Okinawa
    Although this is slightly off the OP's topic, I remember many of my class mates using those spitballs (almost as a form of amusement during high school band practice). They seemed to be little cotton or synthetic balls in a jar of rubbing alcohol. At the time my Private Instructor never recommended them to me (in fact I think I remember him saying "you don't need those things"), nor did he recommend attempting to clean the instrument on my own, with the exception of the mouthpiece. Keep the valves oiled and the slides greased and have it cleaned professionally and you should be good to go.

Now, I am not saying that I have any evidence of the spitballs being a bad thing, but I've never used them personally because I was always afraid they would get clogged or somehow collect grime that would end up falling off when the ball passed through the valves therefore causing my valves to stick.

Back on topic:
    I first heard an Arturo Sandoval recording while at a record store in Ann Arbor, MI in November 2008. As soon as I got in the store I said "this is the sound I'm talkin' about!! man, who is this?" . The shop owner said "Arturo Sandoval" and I knew I needed to remember that name. Sadly there was nothing for sale (even sadder still, on the front door was a poster that said "The Macpodz new CD now on sale" (a fellow trumpeter from my high school days, now in a band called The Macpodz - check them out on youtube) and they were also sold out). However, upon shooting the breeze with the store owner, he recommended some Bunny Berigan records so I piked those up instead.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    last time I saw him live he spent 90% of the time on piano... maybe his chops were not up to par.... But he is a killer piano player too.

Best live show I've seen though still is Tower of Power. Although the joint tour with EWF and Chicago did come close.

9. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    I asked about the spitball question to see if it was a good alternative, cause i dont want to place my signed trumpet in a tub full of water. anyways... the first time i ever heard Arturo Sandoval play was when we saw his movie in class... after i heard him play, i knew what i wanted to sound like. then when i saw him live i was very impressed because never in my life had i heard a trumpet player that plays like that, the shear impact of the sound that comes out of his bell is incredable