Arturo Sandoval

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LJH, Nov 12, 2011.

1. LJH

LJH Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    I have liked Arturo Sandoval's music for years and I knew he was a great trumpet/horn player. On Thursday night I saw him play the second set with his quintet at The Iridium in midtown Manhattan and I was stunned. In addition to trumpet, he is a superb piano and drum player. A decent singer too.

I love surprises like I experienced on Thursday. Tell me about others who are similarly multi-talented. I know they are out there (e.g., McCartney, Prince, etc.), but what other horn players?
    LJH

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    James Morrison and Giulio Carmassi. Both can play anything you put in their hands, and yes I do mean anything. James is most known for trumpet, but is at home on practically any instrument. Giulio is a classically trained pianist, but he is equally great on all instruments.

Look them up! Both have youtube channels...

Kujo

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I was at the first set on Thursday. What a talent. He really can play and do most anything in music.

ed

4. waynefiler

waynefiler New Friend

Feb 11, 2007
    Surrey, UK
    I concur, check out James Morrison, in one piece i've seen he's holding a trombone in one hand and a trumpet in the other then trading solos on each. He's recently recorded a CD where he's played all instrument except the drums Trumpet, trom, sax, rhythm, the works. Please check him out, his concerto for hosepipe is hilarious.

5. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    You mean a cd where he played drums, sax, trombone and trumpet. That would be the album snappy doo.

6. waynefiler

waynefiler New Friend

Feb 11, 2007
    Surrey, UK
    I do, his new album is something like Snappy Two or Snappy Doo Two.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Great question! You can find lots of great musicians that can play many instruments (Stevie Wonder, etc ...), but not many where trumpet is included. Trumpet is not a casual instrument like many others that can be "dabbled at", so there probably won't be many.

Turtle