Arturo Sandoval

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jan 20, 2014.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I think I spelled his name correct there is a video on you tube of him being interviewed that is very interesting it makes you want to go practice and better yourself his words are inspirering

2. montvm

montvm New Friend

Jan 6, 2014
    What is the link?

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Anthony,
    Yes, Arturo is a very inspiring trumpet player. He got his American start via Dizzy Gillespie. If I remember correctly, Diz was in Cuba and Arturo just happened to be Dizzy's taxi driver. Diz got Arturo his start in America and later, Arturo played in (i think it was) Dizzy's United Nations Band. Some of the videos of the band are amusing.
    It's an unwritten rule that you don't play in a way that seriously upstages the star. I remember this one particular song where Diz and Arturo are trading 8's and all of a sudden Arturo went crazy in the strat range and once he was finished, Diz gave him a glare that if looks could kill, Arturo would be a dead man.
    Artruo can make the trumpet do wonderful and powerful things. I've been listening to him since the 1970's early 1980's and in my opinion, some of the best recordings are: Irakere (the early recordings) Arctic Station (with Dizzy)and Trumpet Evolution where he takes on the different styles of famous trumpet players.
    The man is an inspiration to other trumpet players who are willing to listen.
    Dr.Mark

4. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Sorry I didn't explain it better it's on You Tube he is sitting on a couch in his living roolm imitating other greats like Dizzy, Harry James and even Bud Herseth. Anthony

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh my, and without a doubt. I helped a Cuban refugee physician several years back and in gratitude, knowing I loved jazz music, he gave me some of Irakere recordings. Man!!! Nothing like tooling around town in my black Camaro SS in the summer with the top and windows open blaring out Irakere sounds from the CD!!! Heck, I had to police following me and then pulled me over for STOPPING the CD. They let me off with a warning if I put the CD back on. I mean you can't buy this stuff in America. When I get home this evening, I will download one of the tunes and post it on a Soundcloud audio file. You will be entertained.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dr.Mark, check out some of those videos with the curly haired trumpeter/flugelhornist Arturo plays with. That was my trumpet teacher, Claudio Roditi. I was taking lessons with Claudio in NYC during the time he too served as an understudy to Dizzy and was playing with Dizzy, Arturo, and John Faddis. What a time in my life to learn Latin jazz!!!

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Irakere was pure genius. I am of the opinion that Arturo's best stuff is with Irakere, and the Habana sessions with Dizzy. Hope I can access that file if Gary posts it.

8. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Dr.Mark, I have well over 170 recordings with Arturo Sandoval, you need to tell me more about this record. Never heard about it, and until right now, I belived I was only missing "Arturo Playes for the Pandas".

The video with trading 8ths and "scary" look is UNO And Then She Stopped. It's on youtube.

9. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Or, do you think about "To a Finland station"?

10. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    The best Irakere record (IMHO) with Arturo is "Live in Sweden" from 86. The stuff did with Irazu is also stunning. Son Asi, Rumberos del Irazu and Cuban Fantasy. Great tracks!