Arturo Sandoval

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jan 20, 2014.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi Dr.Mark nice to hear from you yesArturo video was inspirering to me I hope it help other players he also seems like a nice guy. ..best of luck Anthony

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I never met Mr. Sandoval. From what I heard from Mr. Harrelson, Arturo is a pretty awesome person.

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    For Love of Country is the Arturo Sandoval story. Worth a viewing or two. Of course it has the usual problem when viewed from a brass player's perspective - an actor who doesn't play trumpet trying to look like he is. This is only a minor distraction.

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Did you see the behind the scenes feature? Arturo playes some typichal Arturoish at full speed, and his fingers looks like a skin colored fog. Andy Garcia LOL's and say "I can never do that!" :-)

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I think the video is the one shown in this post some time ago:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/how-you-do-interview-72272.html

Very good!

--bumblebee

Peter McNeill likes this.
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just got home from band rehearsal, and as promised, Irakere.... Kinda like Chase, meets Super Sax, meets Santana... Not for the light of heart. Listen at your own risk. Just imagine over an hour of this music blaring from my CD in the heat of Summer... Yes, life is good:

http://soundcloud.com/doctor-jazz/04-track-4

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi G-man,
    Do you have the song Ciento Anos De Juventud by Irakere?
    Dr.Mark

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Well, I almost didn't post this but decided it just helps us see everyone is human. About the only info on Arturo performing live that I had came from back in the 80s. He did a clinic and concert at UA. I had several trumpet friends that attended and they left disillusioned. Apparently his jazz playing wasn't anything to write home about at the concert and he really destroyed the couple of legit pieces that he had agreed to play (and had been sent to him in advance). When I asked how he reacted, they said his attitude was "hey, I am Arturo so who cares." The organizer said he figured he hadn't bothered to look at the pieces ahead of time. I'm glad to see from all the positive comments about him on the thread that apparently that evening was a fluke and not a common habit.

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Stevericks,
    I read your comments on Arturo and unfortunately, a less than stellar performance happens to all of us. I once walked out of a Doc Severensen concert because he sucked so bad. However, when we listen to the body of work Doc and the Tonight Show recordings or Arturo's recordings with Irakere or Dizzy, we know that the worth of these people, just like us, can not be measured in a single performance. It is however worth noting if someone acts superior or better than me, I don't buy their music anymore. Music is an emotional sport where the musician expresses themselves within the context of the music and the last thing a musician should do is come off with those kind of vibes. It effects how we hear them from that point on.
    I've even told audiences that "I've got a head cold (it's not contagious!!) and I hope that my little contribution today isn't too terrible. What I've found is that the audience is generally a very forgiving creature if the musician comes across as honest and human. To bad for Arturo, he underestimated the power of people skills.
    Dr.Mark

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Agreed. it must have just have been one of those nights for him. I attended many Maynard concerts over the years, and while most were great, there were times he wasn't "on." Anyway, from all of the other posts it sounds like Sandoval almost always does a good job. Watched a video of him earlier today posted in another thread. He seems like a nice guy.