Arturo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Mar 8, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey all

I haven't said anything for a while, so I just thought I'd say that I just received a copy of "For Love or Country" the Arturo Sandoval Story (With Andy Garcia as the man himself). I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet, but I look forward to it.

I have been listening to Arturo a lot recently and I am pretty darn close to claiming him as one of my favorites. Plus I haven't seen any posts on him.

Cheers All.

Eric S.

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I have seen the movie. It's quite good, and Arturo's soundtrack for that movie is simply stunning.

Yeah, not much is said about Arturo as maybe Maynard, Doc, Miles, etc. I think it's a shame, as Arturo is just as talented.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Arturo's biggest problem, though it was no fault of his own, was that he was stuck in Cuba for so long. I remember hearing my first recording of Arturo and it was just prior to his being able to get out of Cuba in 1990. I thought Gads! Who is this guy and how come I have never heard of him before? I also thought that it would be cool if he could somehow find a way to escape the grip of Castro and find a way to get here, and I was pleased when I heard that he had in fact defected just a short time later.

It's nice that he has been able to enjoy the commercial success that he should have had long ago, and I agree that he is a major talent. I should make a point to collect some more recordings of him.

Has anyone here heard the "Georgia on my mind" that he did with Maynard? Absolutely stunning!

4. the chief

the chief Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2004
    Arturo is one of the finest players around. It'd be very hard to find a better Salsa player.

He's also one of the most passionate players.

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Naw, I love Arturo. Though I've never met the man or talked to him or anything, I consider him one of my best teachers just by listening to his music. You can learn so much about lead playing, improv, even classical nuances. In my opinion, Arturo Sandavol is the ultimate trumpet player, a real MUSICAIN. I can say this with certainty because he can do anything and everything and does so consistently and with the utmost musicianship. What I would give for an hour with him to pick his brain and have a lesson... man....

6. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Arturo is unbelievable technically and in terms of range. I don't just mean high notes, I mean range as it the full spectrum. Listen to his rendition of A Night in Tunisia and you'll see what I mean. I can't pedal that low even if I drop my lip out of the mouthpiece!

However, I can only listen to him a little at a time. For whatever reason, I'm not real big on his tone. Big sound, but it just doesn't "live" in my head and chest when I hear it. Don't know how to explain it, but that's it.

Nevertheless...I'd sign my soul over to play like he does!

:evil:

(of course, some may argue I already have....but that's another story entirely).

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    My wife's cousin is a Trombonist with Afro Cuban Jazz Allstars. Back when he was in his teens he and Arturo used to share the same sleeping quarters when they had to go work out in the fields cuttings sugar cane etc. This type of work is required of all Cuban youth for a required amount days in the year.

He and Arturo had a cassette recording of Clifford Brown solos. They had to listen to the solos in private and played very, very softly as it was illegal to listen to jazz in Cuba at that time!

He tells me Arturo is like a human recorder. He would be able to transcribe Cliffords solo almost immediately.

As for his recordings the "Fire" in his playing is just amazing in the 1979 recording by Irakere. I always get a kick out of seeing the horn he was playing in that concert---I think it may be a beaten up Bundy!

8. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    His "Trumpet Evolution" Album is astonishingly versatile!!!

9. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I have seen him live 3 times - the first 2 were simply amazing - the last time he spent at least 60% of the concert playing the piano. I felt really bad because I had talked quite a few people into going to the last concert and every single one left disapointed. He is a great talent and you can't take that away from him but as a trumpet player I wanted to hear him play the Trumpet. At the 2 earlier concerts when it was over he came out and sat on the edge of the stage and visited with us for about half an hour - just talking and answering questions. He is a very down to earth and friendly man. One thing he told us is that he played on a stock Schilke S32 and and used a Bach 3C, that was in the early days before he had a sponser. old geezer Dave :cool:

10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Well, I finally got around to seeing the movie!

I don't think there is enough words to try and explain what this man has gone through. I have not personally seen him in concert, but I can safely say that I have nothing but the up most respect for Arturo Sandoval

He is certainly one of my favorites. He has to be the most passionate player I have ever heard.

Eric