Arutunian Concerto

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    I would like to learn how to play this song but I think I may be lacking in a few areas necessary to perform it. Right now, I am sort of previewing it from Welcome to www.thetrumpetstudio.com - Solo & Ensemble Resource
    just because I am not sure I will be able to do it.

The parts that are bugging me are the sixteenth note runs...are they supposed to be double tongued? My double tonguing is in the works...how can I practice this?

Since I do not have the rest (I have heard recordings!), how is it?

Sorry for the long post...

Thanks!:lol:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This piece needs a very clean double tongue!

It requires more musicality than technique in my opinion. The range required is where the trumpet has the most "color" available. The highest note is a Bb (in the Cadenza there is a C if I remember right). There is a good mix of melodic and technical. You have to find a little Armenian "soul" to play this too. It uses a very unique harmony found in that area of the world.
    If your double tongue is not up to snuff, then I would wait on this one until it is.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I could not agree more with everything Rowuk said. I would add a great place to work on your double tongue is the Arbans beginning on page 175 with a metronome and keep working the section for more and more speed.

4. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    I have mastered double tonguing the same note (pg. 175) but whenever I try to double tongue a scale or a phrase, it comes out lightning fast and in doubles. ??

How do I fix this?

5. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Practice slow with a metronome. First single notes, then phrases.

6. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    yeah.. practice slow... very slow.

7. Jeff23

Jeff23 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    Brewerton, NY
    Practice things only 'K' tongued until they sound the same as your single tongue (the beginning of Arban is always a good one for this). Practice single tonguing P.175 of Arban until you have it at quarter note = 120. Then you can learn the piece by switching over to single tongue on the runs you can't do double tongued. This gets your fingers and tongue working together (the biggest problem I think). Once that works, double tongue at the same speed you single tongue, and your fingers know exactly what to do. From there, all you need is to speed everything up slowly until it's at the tempo you want.

I did this my senior year of high school for a solo competition. I was completely not ready for it when I picked it up, but using these slow and simple methods, I was able to methodically learn it while my double tonguing and fingers caught up with me. Once I had the rest down, I was ready to switch over to double tonguing and the rest is history -- I got a 97/100 if I remember correctly.

8. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    This is one of my favourite peices ive played so far. So much harder than the peice im working up this year (but this year i started abit late so i wanted to be cautious. Doign the Goedicke this year). Any way. I got a 97 out of a 100. I did it slower and all single tonging. My judge was purely impressed that i was in 9th grade daring enough to do it and did it as good as i did even if the tempo took a big hit. I mean I knwo it wasn't perfection but it was good. I want to work this peice up again though . It is amazingly fun to play.