Arutunian Trumpet Concerto

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Sep 12, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    There is one phrase in the Arutunian Trumpet Concerto that I just can't play no matter how much I practice. I'm trying different things but nothing is working. I've basically spent 2 weeks trying to get this, and I've gotten nowhere. It's really frustrating. How should i approach this?

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Well it depends, what phrase?

3. trumpetplayer231

trumpetplayer231 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Did you try?

4. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    6 before k to k

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Yes. Next time, please read the whole thing.

6. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    i'm sorry, i don't have the music handy to view the phrase.

what's messing you up about the section? phrasing, fingering, range, endurance ...

generally: certainly, i've had similar issues where i just can't get a phrase. sometimes, i'll look for a similar type of phrase in another piece or etude book and practice that - kind of like cross training. occasionally, i found success by playing around with the phrase itself - play it backwards, change the phrasing (slurs, attacks, etc), and then try it again as written.

if, i don't have to work it up for a preformance, there's also the option to walk away from it - work the rest of the piece and do the best you can with that one section and let it go. come back to it 6 months+ - i commonly found that i'm in a different place and may have gotten past the physical / mental block.

sorry that this doesn't directly give you a solution

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Who's recording do you have? If you don't have one, get one and listen to it. Internalize the rhythm, then slowly work through it.

8. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I have the music in front of me, but can't find k to k?

If I play music that is not recorded, I often put difficult parts in to Finale, just to get it right. Free version on www.finalemusic.com and you can download musescore for free at www.musescore.org

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  9. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Take it slow. Half speed maybe. Make sure you practice your scales too, basically everything is flattened in that doublet-tongued run from 6 before K to K. Practice it all, with good tone and correct double tonguing, even though you don't need it when it's that slow. Gradually increase the speed.

10. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    "6 before k" to "k"
    thanks for the links