Asking for gigs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AKtrumpet, Feb 24, 2015.

1. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    From an ethical / respect standpoint, is it taboo to ask a private teacher (or anyone for that matter) for gigs/playing opportunities? How would you react to a student asking you for opportunities?

Contextually speaking, my teacher has been giving gigs to a student who is "worse" than myself (hopefully I'm being objective in that assessment) but who has been a student for longer than myself.

Thanks!

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I think if you're keen to do gigs (and are able) then letting your musician network know that is a perfectly normal thing to do. That would include your music teacher. You could also ask your network who know you (including your teacher) how they think you're doing, and if they'd recommend people go to a gig you're playing at. And if your teacher reckons you're ready be bold and ask him or her to keep an eye out for gigs for you.

I'm a fine one to talk though, since I haven't stuck myself out there as a horn for hire (though have had a few paying gigs over the years) and there may be some etiquette in your region I am unfamiliar with.

--bumblebee

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not at all when asked with tact.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I joined my local American Federation of Musicians Union as a legal horn for hire (00451, license to thrill). I get some really nice gigs through them without even asking!

5. RonD

RonD Pianissimo User

Jun 22, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Recommending someone for gigs isn't just about "chops".

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Absolutely, it's more about the right fit.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Maybe you could do a gig with your instructor -- kind of like a mentor student learning the ropes kind of thing

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is NOTHING wrong with asking. It gives the teacher an opportunity to tell you OK or you have to get xyz done first.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Your teacher might actually be waiting for you to ask. A way to get involved in that conversation might be to simply ask your teacher something to the effect of, "say - if I wanted to do some playing or gigging, how would I go about finding those opportunities?"

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    May be wrong on his, but think many of us started gigging through churches. You play a few for free. Your name gets known, then you start getting calls for pay. Word continues to spread and other groups start calling.