Asking for gigs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AKtrumpet, Feb 24, 2015.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Steve, that was my experience. In my hometown, the only real gig opportunities were for church, but I did a lot of that my last two years of high school, which led to a couple of weddings, and doing some solo work as sort of a pre music kind of thing for a political rally, which was the same week I played in the pit orchestra for "The Music Man." There wasn't a ton of opportunity, but I made the most of what was there, and only got paid for a fraction of it.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The best gigging in my neighborhood is for frogs . At least that makes a meal on the table. However, today I was given two fresh ducks, all plucked and cleaned. You now know what we're having for supper tomorrow night.

bumblebee likes this.
  3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I might also suggest the first question you could ask (to open up the discussion) would be: "do you think I am ready to play some gigs, and if so, do you know any for which I might be ready?"

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    If you include busking in the street, then given the vast range of skill I've observed by such players over the years I'd say everybody is ready to play some gigs.

In December I walked past a couple of schoolkids (early teens, if that) playing trumpets and it took me quite a few seconds to realise they were attempting a Christmas carol. (I hoped they were keen on improving their playing, but the way one of them was sitting slouched, with the rim of the bell lying on the ground I didn't feel much confidence in that. It was a very hot day though and I didn't know how long they had been there.)

--bumblebee

(Aside: Are "The Brasshoppers" who are playing around Manchester in the UK the same group I saw busking around Cork and Cobh in Ireland in the late 1980's I wonder? This clip certainly sounds like the sound I have on the cassette tape I bought from them back then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUAJakEVr38)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    There is a thought that comes to mind: Not everyone should wear yoga pants, and not everyone should play trumpet in public.
    You can't stop people from doing either, but there are a lot of people that would rather they didn't.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There's another aspect to musicianship that might be worth mentioning, and that's the idea that not everyone is driven to go out and gig. I've known some fine players who don't do much at all outside of the practice room. Part of that might have to do with just not being comfortable putting it out there, for whatever reason, part of it might be a somewhat introverted nature - it's hard to get gigs if you aren't willing to chat it up with folks.

Or, it might be a bit like it is with my son - he's a solid guitar player, but he's picky beyond belief, and he only wants to play if it fits into his narrow scope of the kind of music he wants to play. That's a mindset I just haven't been able to wrap my mind around because I took every gig that came down the pike - it didn't matter what it was in terms of genre or location. I tried to get my son involved doing praise band stuff - all music that was easily within his ability to play. His level of disinterest was such that he'd do it, but his effort toward polishing the parts was non-existent, and after a number of times with him just showing up and phoning it in, I stopped having him play with us. Flat out told the Worship Leader not to schedule him anymore. I was a bit embarrassed about it because I'd vouched for his ability, but he never once hit the music like he could have - no sense of professionalism at all about it. That blew my mind because he certainly doesn't get that by watching my example.

In any case, he remains kind of an enigma to me when it comes to that kind of thing. He plays great, has some fine instruments and solid gear (at this point, he owns 12 guitars between acoustics, electrics and a bass, and a small arsenal of good amps) but the most he's done thus far is do some jams with a friend with a band project that just doesn't seem like it's going to get off the ground. I joke with him a bit about the gear. He has a lot more money tied up into his gear than I have in mine, and a lot more instruments, but I'm the guy grinding it out on the weekend bringing home the Benjamins! :D

There has to be a drive toward getting out there and doing it, and for those serious about doing it (and can play fairly well - there's always that) they'll find a way to make it happen.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    You are giving us some tremendous food for thought there, Patrick. I definitely have come across similar people, but that is the exception rather than the rule.
    In reference to my situation, to be as objective as I can be, I know there are much better artists than myself who choose to hide it under a bushel basket, so to speak, yet I shamelessly show mine to anyone unfortunate to get cornered by me somewhere, or who haven't had the warning to avert their eyes in time, and by the same token, I feel as though I am better than some at my playing, yet they get gigs pretty often. I don't (with the playing) put myself out there like with my artwork, because of many factors. Shyness is not one. Consideration is, however. I don't want to monopolize my time doing things I like. There are other people who would like the pleasure of my time, for their benefit. It's not all about me all the time....I get to play plenty, thanks.

8. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sound advice. In business it's called "networking" and is a vital practice. We are taught the "2-foot" rule, which means whenever you get within two feet of a person ask what they do and tell them what you do. The setting controls the practicality of this, but you get the point. GL

gmonady likes this.
  9. Alrocks

Alrocks New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    Devon, UK
    As for any musician, you have to put your self forward for things and promote your self. In other words, you won't get, unless you ask! It is not bad form or disrespectful to ask. But equally don't be put off or loose your confidence when you get turned down.

10. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Therein lies the crux of the issue. "Well said" in plain English.