Asking for gigs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AKtrumpet, Feb 24, 2015.

1. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey that's not bad. I'm going to have to ponder that philosophy/practice. I think I could learn from it in my business.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, I wear yoga pants when playing in public, and they pay me for it. And I don't even have to ask for those gigs.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Networking is EVERYTHING. I am where I am today in both my medicine and musical careers from Networking. Going to local, regional, national and even international meetings (conferences) and pounding the flesh does have vital returns.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    But do you walk away too quickly to hear them say, "here's some money, please never wear those again"....?
    Just asking...:-?
    And..............I think you mean, Yogi Bear Pants, no?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Quit contrar, I have had a bride stuff wads of cash down them at her wedding reception, that's just how appreciated baggy pants are on jazz musicians... well at least THIS jazz musician! She was asking for more then a jazz gig...

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Baggy pants not yoga pants. Yoga pants are, well, really tight, more like tights. But you stick to that story of yours. We love hearing it. Really we do.
    Now I await the guilt trip you will throw at me. Waiting :whistle:

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    "Pounding the flesh...?!"
    Are we even still talking about networking?

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yogi Bear pants and his little friend Boo-boo. ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Isn't that supposed to be "pressing the flesh?" LOL!

Most of the gigs I've had over the years came about because of someone I knew - the trick is finding that "in" to get your foot in a the door so you can do more networking. Of course it helps to not suck. Can't get hired back if you tank on the gig.

I had that happen once too. I had gotten involved with a group of musicians from the Laurel/Burtonsville area of Maryland with a brass quintet sub gig. I'm not even sure how I got it in the first place. Anyway, I played with them a few times and got hired with them for a quintet thing at this church in Laurel. I had a raging sinus infection at the time, and I finally went to the doc and got some antibiotics and some decongestants, one of which was called "Entex LA."

In a later conversation I had with my Mom she said, "I can't take Entex - it makes me really spacey."

I wish I'd have known that at the time. It was probably the worst gig I've ever played in my life. I couldn't maintain any kind of focus for more than about two measures, so I missed a lot. It was conspicuously bad. I felt badly about it, and apologized, but I never worked with them again.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Patrick, it's a never ending job trying to edit Doc's stuff. And I keep asking him for his password so I can actually correct the stuff. Nothing doing, he is not budging.
    What am I going to do? I need some time to myself anyway. I have paintings to do, toy boxes to make, trumpet to play, do retired people stuff, that kind of thing.
    Can you imagine the energy of him? 15807+ posts, and 6 have been totally correct. That's too much to ask of anyone, don't you think?