Asthetics

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I like them all, but Silver is probably my least preference....

WHY?
    Not really sure; except that Silver reminds me of Brass Band (from Younger years), and those show-offs that always played First Chair when I was young and played some symphony with Youth Orchestra. So my preference was for Bi- or Tri-coloured horns in Lacquer.
    I do admit to like Silver with Gold accents...that is a cool look.

NOW as I am getting older; I prefer Raw Brass. More cleaning, but more fun. I will join (ComeBackKid) as I am CHEAP as well. I have stripped some sad looking lacquered horns back to Bare Brass, and they look great; have not bothered to get them lacquered.

Gold is done over Silver plate. So way too expensive for my Budget. If I knew a good painter for lacquer I would give them a go; my back-ground is Surface Coatings (Auto, Industrial, Powder Coatings etc)...so I would be a right #ss if the horn had any defects. I spent recent years with Mobile phone coatings, so that has made me more critical....

Raw Brass...Yeah a good option for me. I want my horns to look good, play good and if I can do my best - Sound Good. That's after all the bit that matters.

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hmmm - If your background is surface coatings and you don't know anyone who could do a good job of applying lacquer - what chance do I have with a DIY attempt? I work with a company that applies clearcoat for aerospace applications so maybe I'll try them out. They should be able to handle a trumpet, I would think.

3. Laursen

Laursen New Friend

Feb 4, 2010
    Personally I'm not obsessed with aesthetics. But I like to keep my silver plated horn nice-looking. I try to take care of it so it doesn't get any deep scratches and dents and I give it a quick wipe down after I've used it. But I'm not too concerned about tarnish and such. It makes the horn look used and gives a little of personal touch to it I think.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi ComeBackKid
    ROFL

I forgot to mention I have been in China from 2002-2008 with a Swedish paint company, then I was with another company in Australia which moves Earth in Large Quantities for 5 years, based in all States of Australia; then Paints before that.... So long story made longer, I would use a Clearcoat Powder Coating - Polyester/Hybrid. Or a Lacquer job, but I do need to find someone good with a gun. The PowderCoat will give a more even finish being an electro-static application. I would not do it myself. And BTW I also have Honours in Spray Application from my early days in Automotive and Refinish when I was formulating but my skills are rusty, and lack tools to do it.

It sounds like you have access to the right people with the right gear, I would use them.:-)

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    A powdercoat... now THAT would be a long-lasting finish. I would expect it to change the sound, though.

6. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I like the durability of the silver finish. My 1970 Yamaha still looks pretty good and has never been replated. Thankfully the usual wear spots are there, but fairly small and not visible while I'm holding it.

My conn vintage one has the rose brass bell and I loved that color too much to want it hidden under silver plating. I do worry that it won't be nearly as nice looking at 40 years old as the Yamaha is.

I really don't polish the silver very often. I do make sure it spends all of it's non playing time in the case though, so that helps keep it from tarnishing.

I do like the matte/satin finish concept for hiding fingerprints. I think my favorite would be satin silver finish on the horn, with a shiny gold inside the bell. also shiny silver accents like the valve caps, buttons, hooks, and water keys.

7. sach7581

sach7581 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    It seems to me there is a difference in the silver on some horns compared to others. My antique Henri Gautier always looks great. After many months it does start to get that black look but it doesn't show hand prints very much. On the other hand, my newer silver horns, always have hand prints on them but have never turned "black".
    I also prefer tri-colored horns and really dislike the satin finishes.