Asthma

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Aug 15, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Hello all!

When going to the doctor recently he noticed that I have a mild asthma.
    The degree of the asthma is fairly low so it has never disturbed my life in a serious mather (I have only notised something wrongit when doing extreamly physical straining)

When I got home i started thinking if the "mild asthma" affects my trumpetplaying.
    To experiment on this I asked my brother who have serious asthma if I could try his medicin (inhalator). I tryed it and after a few minutes I really notised that my airways where much more open so I picked up my trumpet and started to play.
    What I found out was that it indeed was easyer to blow and the sound was bigger BUT the medicin made my hands shaky and my hole body kind of tense (like drinking to much cofee). so bad that the medicin was overall more negative than positiv for me.

I would be so happy if you trumpetplayers out there shared your experienses on this subject with me.

Thank you.

Robert

2. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Robert,
    I have recently been diagnosed as having asthma and COPD. I use two different inhalers, but they don't bother me. I think it would be a good idea to see a physician to see what would help you. They come in various types to fit your level of asthma.
    Arnold Jacobs has stated that playing a wind instrument would help asthma sufferers.
    BTW, I am a 67 year old person with cadiac problems and severe allergies, but I still play three hours a day, so don't get discouraged!!!
    Good luck!
    Roy Griffin

3. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    I've had chronic asthma for 20 years now. It's actually usually not bad enough (anymore) to affect my exercising (running, biking), though if I'm having trouble it will make that more difficult. But at a much lower level of aggravation it will affect my trumpet playing, and I notice difficulties, especially in the upper register, with only mild inflammation.

As to the albuterol, it will relax your airways and has side effects similar to large doses of caffeine. Over time, both the effectiveness and the side effects subside because of your tolerance.

As an aside, the propellant in the rescue inhalers has been changed due to recent environmental legislation. I do not know what the previous propellant was, but the new propellant (HFC-134a/EtOH under pressure) is quite terrible, and I find that it does a particularly poor job of delivering the medication into my lungs, instead depositing most of it into the back of my mouth.

Stuart

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I'll bet your inhaler is epinephrin. Epinephrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The adrenaline causes your shaking. I'll bet you don't need it when you play trumpet. Talk to your doctor about what time to take it so it doesn't interfere with practicing or performance or sleeping.

I have the same stuff but only use it for airborne allergies. Deep breathing for trumpet playing should help you out. It helps me.

Try to avoid milk. It seems crazy but I cut back on milk. I have it on my breakfast but not the rest of the day. It seems to help.

5. Matt o-iii<O

Matt o-iii<O Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    If you go to starsteachmusic.com theres a video where Rick Baptist talks about his experience with asthma and trumpet playing.
    I haven't seen it yet but think it would be worth a look.
    Deep breathing and cutting back on Milk are also good suggestions.

Good Luck

Matt o-iii<O

6. trumpetlore

trumpetlore Pianissimo User

Apr 14, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    like any drugs, it's best to take things actually meant for you. sometimes there's a trial period. If you exercise, and take care of your body, mild asthma shouldn't really be a problem (I also have mild asthma), but if you really want to, go talk to a doctor, get the right medication for you, and see if it does what you need.

Asthma medication (in inhalers) is simply an aerosol form of steroids.

I also echo Matt. Many food products can be key to reducing many asthmatic symptoms. Dairy is one of them. Try cutting out certain foods for a month or so, and then reintroducing them, and see how your body reacts. This can help with many things, including your asthma.

7. Ray Vega

Ray Vega Pianissimo User

Robert,
    I've been an asthmatic for since 1984. I developed it in my mid twenties.
    At that time, I was involved heavily in the NY Salsa scene......those dance clubs were packed with people and unfortunatly, a great part of them smoked cigarettes......lots of them. :thumbdown:

Thank God for the Non-Smoking laws. :thumbsup:

My best advise is to stay away from dairy products as much as possible and most important, follow your doctors advise concerning healthy living, meds etc.

Keep me posted-----I'm sure that you'll do just fine-
    PeaceRV

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Also asthmatic. Severe at one time and nearly died on two occasions.

I have been using Albuteral inhalers for over tirty years now and they are still effective.

My asthma is under control now, but I do use a once a day inhaler...Flowvent which is a steroid.

The toughest thing is after any major problems wwhen they would put me on Prednisone. That was tough, alway had bloating and weight gain. That stuff would give me uncontrollable hunger and urges to eat all the time.

My asthma started as a tenager and was heavily incread by having Cobalt poisoning as a result of using carbide tools when I was a tool maker.

Yes, stay away from dairy.

-cw-

9. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I have just found a rather interesting article, that deals with asthma. Check it out.

10. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Whoops it hasnt attached it. this is the website below.

Page Not Found

enjoy!