Asymmetric Mouthpiece Trial: Lead and Lead M

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I do note that my 13a4a cuts a bit better, as does the 6a4a. My friend and I agree that the mouthpieces have a very large sound, however. I'm not sure it cuts enough for my taste, which is ironic is light of your comments

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Somhow... Some of these mouthpieces look.... Sad:cry:

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    That's because they're not in a horn being played ... instead they're laying down on the job.

DaTrump likes this.
  4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Mark,

Just a thought, I find if I blow down slightly into the mouthpiece (lead 342) I can cut the rest of the band to ribbons. I had a poor young clarinetist in front of me the other day and the part said "ff sfz" she nearly jumped out of her chair. If I go slightly up (or maybe less down) I can blend more effectively. Any help?

5. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I haven't tried it yet, but I'll look into it -- Thanks for the suggestion Andy ;D That's my main complaint with the piece, that the sound isn't quite where I'd like it to be. Right now it doesn't provide me with the same range as my 13a4a, also, but the endurance boost is pretty great. I'm at a hard decision right now.

I think it does somewhat "force" good habits. I switched from that to my 13a4a the other day and wailed a high B a couple times (unexpectedly)... I was happy. I don't know if it was for sure a result of the mouthpiece habits, but works for me. Normally, on either mouthpiece I can get a decent G, so I'm not too worried about "losing" range possibilities from being on one vs the other

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

and REMEMBER don't forget to mention ole KT here, and how I was instrumental in conveying the importance of revisiting the Asymmetric mpc at your NOW advanced level of music education. Yeah, it doesn't hurt for ol KT here to get some street Creds on my resume' --- thanks for telling everyone, YOUNG MARK!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Oh yes KT here have an ego stroke on me. But I have to credit Stumac for my conversion.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that's OK -- but a month or so ago -- YOUNG MARK KINDY sent me a PM. wanting to borrow an Asymmetric (which KT is so cool and obliging to Mark anyhow -- cause he is an enterprising handsome young student with a lot of potential in music (or now I believe nanotechnology physics when he changed majors or something).. NONETHELESS -- Ole KT here, directed this young man to JUST GO TO THE ASYMMETRIC SOURCE (ie. John Lynch) - because the guy is very approachable, gives a money back guarantee, and would likely "work with Mark" about using multiple mpc ---- JUST BY MENTIONING MY NAME.
    so, I have some clout in the trumpet world (at least I hope I did -- please Mark, if I don't have any clout, or pull, or if John Lynch forgot who I am -- PLEASE DON"T TELL ANYBODY) ROFL ROFL ROFL

ps. Mark, let me re-iterate --- if you want the high G and above -- put some air through that thing -- your a lot younger than me, and if I can do it --- you should have NO PROBLEMS at all!!!! "choke up on the mpc and give it some air" - ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  9. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Oh, I got the G on it fine. I'm trying to get the cut I need is all.I should be able to try that tonight, after the game is over (UF vs SC)

10. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    There might be the perfect mouthpiece for you Mark one of two, one I have mentioned before, the other is a new developement from the Andrew Idiot Mouthpiece Co. The ultimate shallow mouthpiece already in production, "The Hollywood Blonde" of for British Brass Banders looking for a shallow option the "The Essex Girl" and my new piece for ultimate cut "The Knife Edge" very sharp rim and a knife shaped protrusion into the cup to cut the airstream.