At a Crossroads in my music career

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Josiah, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Josiah

Josiah New Friend

Jan 8, 2008
    Hello! Ok so I am at a cross roads in my music career. I am in Sr. in high school and want to go into music in college. A few days ago a picked up a Euphonium. I love it and everything and I actually have a better sound on Euphonium than trumpet and I've only been playing a couple days on euph. t. I've been playing trumpet for 7 years but I have a better sound a euphonium. I'm also marching drum and bugle corps with a DCI corps so I am going to have to play trumpet this summer. How do you know if you should switch? I don't know if I want to switch. Can someone shed some light on this? :dontknow: please! :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Personally, I am going to tell you to stick with trumpet. It is an instrument that is more popular, and will get you more work in the professional music field than playing Euphonium.
    Make the Euph a double so you can earn extra money and work on it, but keep the trumpet up. Is a few days of Euphonium playing really worth giving up years of trumpet?

3. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I would have to agree. I played Bari-Sax my senior year and fell in love with it, granted I didn't have the good sounds and all in a few days, but I still would never spend a few days on something completely new and change my instrument when the glory might fade off soon.

4. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    First of all, you just need to pick the instrument you're most comfortable with and, most of all, the one you like the most. Second, quit your drum corps and get your butt in the practice room and take lessons all summer. Don't ever march drum corps again, it's a waste of your time. Some people might say it depends on what corps you're marching, but that's bogus. You should be at home practicing on your own and working with a good teacher all summer. Take it from me, I marched five years of drum corps, and while it was a great experience I wish that I had spent that time in the practice rooms and all that money on a good teacher for the summer. No matter how good the corps is, they will hold you back for that very reason... BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT IN THE PRACTICE ROOM!!!

5. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    By the way, I know you're not going to take my advice about not marching so I'll add this: At least take some good material of your own to practice when you can. A lot of corps won't let you practice on your own, but my last two years I demanded that I have time on my own to work on good material. You're going to spend all summer playing the same thing over and over, so you really need to work on some methods, etudes, and solos when you have the chance.

6. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Do like Jens Lindemann, double for yourself. He plays the Euphonium on one of his recordings.:-)Learn the other low brass sure but don't give up the trumpet!

7. jgirardi

jgirardi New Friend

Dec 1, 2006
    new york
    Josiah, Do not leave the trunpet. I love it with all my heart. So will you. I too was confused I enjoyed the bone and was tempted. I play both! Do not leave your D&B the overall experience is better than the time you might lose. I played 18 years in senior corps. Never lost a job because of it.

8. wterry23

wterry23 New Friend

Feb 4, 2008
    texas
    hello to you all!! I,m new here and looking forward to talking trumpet with you.

Wallace Terry

9. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Friend

Jul 23, 2005
    Wetaskiwin, Alta, Canada
    A number of years ago I injured myself in a non-musically related way. The end result was that I was unable to play the trumpet for seven years while I sought treatment. During that time to continue to pay the bills I picked up the bass (both upright and electric). Eventually I found a doctor who was able to fix my problem and happy ending I'm back playing trumpet again. But, having a double that I really enjoy playing has made staying gainfully employed so much easier. If you have the time to put in on both instruments go for it! That said, I find it easier to double on bass than I would on another brass instrument - when I'm practicing one and things get tired it's easy to go practice the other for a while as they use completely different muscle groups. I think finding the time to practice both euphonium and trumpet could be a real challenge. My best advice (worth everything you paid for it, I assure you ;) ) is to play the instrument makes you happiest. That's what's going to motivate you to keep working on it. When music stops being fun and becomes a chore that's when we tend to move away from it. Having fun in what you do (musically or not) is healthier mentally and will let you rise to become good at whatever you do.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Josiah,
    YOU claim that you are at the crossroads. As you have been playing trumpet for a while, this is probably not something that is just a whim. I assume that you are a bit frustrated with your current trumpet development and found with the euphonium something new and fun.

Why this is can be easily explained: (excerpt from wikipedia) The euphonium is a conical-bore, baritone-voiced brass instrument. It derives its name from the Greek word euphonos, meaning "beautiful-sounding" or "sweet-voiced" (eu means "well" or "good" and phonium means "voice").

AS the amount of p(l)aying jobs with the trumpet are limited, and you are not chronically infected with wanting to be the best trumpet player on the planet, play both until you are forced to make a decision (if you are lucky, it may never happen). As an amateur, there are enough parts in wind bands to keep you occupied. You will find that technical things are a bit tougher than on the trumpet.

If you wander away from the trumpet, then future questions should be directed here:
    International Tuba Euphonium Association