At a Crossroads in my music career

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Josiah, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ThirdValve

ThirdValve New Friend

Feb 3, 2007
    Which do you enjoy playing more? Sound is important. If you feel you sound better on one instrument than the other, that may be a guide. But... as far as euphonium goes, it's not exactly a main stream instrument. If you're considering switching, you should assume that you'll want to primarily play trombone.

- tv

2. Josiah

Josiah New Friend

Jan 8, 2008
    Personally I don't like the sound of the trombone as much as Euph.

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    You might want to take a good look at the kind of music each is used for. If you like jazz or orchestral music, the euphonium will limit what you can do in those genres. If you really like band music and have considered military bands, there are fewer spots for euphonium, but it's in there. If you'd like to be a teacher (public school type), it doesn't make as much difference.

4. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Another point to be added is that when you go in for college auditions, you can tell them you want to audition on both instruments, not only will you have a chance at making it into the school on one instrument, but the instructors will know that you already have the ability to double, therfore if they need one part more than the other, they can call on you who already knows the instrument, rather than having to teach someone nearly from scratch

5. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    At the Trumpet Festival this weekend in West Chester, PA, The trombone player from the Boston Brass picked up the euphonium and said, "The Euphonium, from the Greek word euphonos, meaning "unemployed". It got a nice laugh from the crowd. i thought it was funny, ROWUK because you basically wrote the definition in the same language.

My 2 cents. I think you should play whatever makes you the happiest.

Maybe you can play euphonium in the drum & bugle, and bring your trumpet with you on tour to practice.

When I was in high school, i was in a DCI drum & bugle corps. I found it to be a good experience, but not really a good musical experience. My last summer was the summer before entering music school as jazz studies/trumpet major. You can find time to practice, but you do play a lot each day. I would find some time on lighter days, and after the shows. I would play etudes and excerpts with one of the other guys. We would get about an extra hour in each night. I would learn jazz tunes and transcribe jazz solos on the bus, and find 20-30 minutes each day to play with some Jamey Abersold cds.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  6. Josiah

Josiah New Friend

Jan 8, 2008
    that wouldn't work there are enough Euphes and they are all vets. So I'm sticking with trumpet for Drum corps.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  7. Josiah

Josiah New Friend

Jan 8, 2008
    I had my first college audition at Western Michigan University a couple weeks ago. I auditioned on Trumpet and Euphonium. My trumpet audition I bombed....but Euphonium went Decently.....On april 17th I have an other audition at university of Michigan- flint. I like all kids of music, as long as I am playing some type of music thats all I care.

8. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Are you wanting to get into Music Ed?

9. Josiah

Josiah New Friend

Jan 8, 2008
    I really want to do performance, but I don't know if that will happen.......

10. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Let me be honest here. If you are a senior in high school and you are wanting to mess around with the euphonium and you just bombed your recent trumpet audition at Western Michigan there is no reason for you to be going into trumpet performance.

Everyone has a bad day but your questions lead me to believe you have no business doing a performance degree. What do you think you are going to do with that performance degree once you get out of college? Do you think once you get out you will be able to compete with the best trumpet players in the country who never once wondered whether they should switch to euphonium their senior year.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'm just giving you some free advice. Go to a good school and get a degree outside of music. Practice trumpet every day. Play in the band. Play in the pep band. Have fun and study hard. Enjoy music and come out with a 4 year degree that will get you a good paying job. If you are dead set on trumpet get your ass in the practice room and find the very best teacher you can. Forget you ever heard the word euphonium.

Schwab likes this.