At a Crossroads in my music career

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Josiah, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Josiah

Josiah New Friend

Jan 8, 2008
    I wouldn't mind education, I just can't live with out music in a profession. I have put to much in to give up now.

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    It's not giving up. It is being realistic. You can get a bunch of playing in with out it being the way you make your living. I don't suggest education as a back up to performance. Do it because you want to teach or do something else.

3. Josiah

Josiah New Friend

Jan 8, 2008
    I could go the undecided route, and take lessons and also take as many ensembles as possible audition later on down the road.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  4. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    I don't like that idea either :D If you are undecided take a year off and figure out exactly what you want to do. College is a fun but very expensive way to kill time.

5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Most college students change their major 2-3 times; this according to several of the colleges my daughter considered before she chose where to attend last year. And, depending on the students background there is usually sufficient general education required to fill that first year in any event.

You can also consider major/minor, and double major.

Back to the question of practicing on tour, I think there is good advise there. Especially now that drum corps are (mostly) playing Bb instruments, there is no conflict with ear training, and no need to carry an extra horn. Get some study material, and maybe some direction from your teacher before tour, and if possible between tours. I also like the idea of "doubling" and not making any final decision. But by all means, don't give up, even if you have to have a non music major I bet you can still continue your music education as a minor or (enrichment/elective), and possibly make a change later if things go the way you hope they will.

6. Josiah

Josiah New Friend

Jan 8, 2008
    All DCI Corps are on Bb now. It's just matter of strenching my techniqual ability, my lips should be fine 6+ hours playing a day. I just need to make sure I don't lose my tone as a build up more muscule in my lips over the summer.

7. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    You will, however, lose some of your ability to play the wide majority of other music during your Corps. work. You will play your show for hours each day, most of it as loud as you can, and you will build up muscle to play THAT music. Sure, you can play loud and high for that stuff, but your ability to play soft and lyrical will slowly deteriorate. I even noticed this in my playing after regular marching season. I suggest just playing a wide variety of things while in Corps. so you don't lose any abilities you already have.

BTW, have fun marching with them, I'm sure it will be a blast!

8. Josiah

Josiah New Friend

Jan 8, 2008
    My corps is actually preatching use a good sound at all times, its not always the loudest. But ya either way I will be playing alot louder than concert, and jazz for that matter.

9. brassmachine19

brassmachine19 New Friend

Nov 16, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Don't give up marching corps, period. It's a fantastic experience that you will never forget.

"No matter how good the corps is, they will hold you back for that very reason... BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT IN THE PRACTICE ROOM!!!"

I personally don't agree with this, I marched 2yrs and in all honesty, came back a much better player. I gained many things that could be gained in the practice rooms, tone, technique, musicality and life long friendships (not gained in the practice room, ha)...just to name a few. Now granted it's going to be a player to player basis and I'm not saying because it worked for me it will work for you and vice versa. Just make sure you use the information given to you wisely, know your physical limitations and take care of your chops.

Have a blast this summer!!...and yea stick with the trumpet, who wants to play euph anyway? haha

10. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    There is no question in my mind that I was a better horn player from my days in drum corps (back then), but I also reached a point where I could see some technical areas that I needed private instruction for. If we had not moved away, and a year later I joined the navy, I might have gotten that instruction, stayed with the corps, and gone to college with a music major. But it didn't, I didn't, and there it is. Now I am trying to comeback after more years than you've been around . . .

Everything is relative, pianisimo in drum corps is a whole lot louder than pianisimo in the band room. Make sure to get work on the quieter side of dynamic range as well as work on stuff that will advance your abilities - in other than just what you are performing in the show.

I can't imagine any objections from the corps, as long as you are able to meet their schedule of activities/practice. Moreover, it enhances your abilities to help the corps as well. I suppose each corps is different, but presented correctly, I can't imagine it being a problem.