At Governor's School

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Hello everyone. I am now at the Governor's School, and it is amazing! The people here actually care about music. Anyway, the trumpet players here are for the most part better than me. I am really trying to not let that get to me. I want to just do my own thing and get better by playing with them. I just don't improvise or double tongue as well as some of them. I do keep up though. I just wanted an opinion about how to stay on course with myself and not get caught up in what they are doing.

Thanks

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't confuse the messenger with the message. Play the heck out of everything to the best of your ability, and try to increase your ability. It is not about people, it is about music.

Have fun!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just do what your trumpet teacher says - try and beat his expectations - every week. THAT is how you excel!

4. MrWho3421

MrWho3421 Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Which State? My brother in law is at the one in PA

5. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Well I'm definitely not in PA, let's just say that. I don't really have a trumpet teacher here, he's just a brass guy who sits in on ensemble work. I'm really trying to keep confident in my own ability so I can play to my ability. My chops really are shot by now, though. I have been in a bunch of jam sessions, and they are the most fun I have had on trumpet. Anyway, thanks for the support! Now I just need to figure out how to keep my chops alive with this kind of schedule. :)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why is it called a governors school? Does the governor pay for it, or do they send people there that tend to "over-rev"?

7. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Well, I'm not sure about the name. I guess it's a prestige thing. The school districts pay for the whole thing. But, we just got done performing a jazz number, and I think a few of us did over-rev. :) (btw, I got the joke, in case you weren't sure: governors slow things like golf carts down) Anyway, it's a fantastic program. I'm having the time of my life. Does anyone know how to keep your chops when you play more than you are used to like I am?

Thanks,
    Jazz9