At home Practice???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Mar 3, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I'm a junior in high school that aspires to join the army and be in their band program. Both to travel and play while getting paid for it and to get a good college education using tuiton aid or the GI bill. I currently can't afford private lessons so I do the most of my playing in my school jazz, stage, and pit bands and I play at home. I currently only have three trumpet books (Foundations for a Superior Performance, By Richard Williams & Jeff King; Rubank Study's Advance Method, by WM. Gower & H. Voxman; and finally, Standard of Excellence Enhanced Comprehensive Band Method, by Bruce Pearson) and I also have copies of almost every piece I've ever played.

Here's my normal Practice Routine:

30 mins -- Long Tones, Lip Slurs
    20 mins -- Break
    30 mins -- High Range, Articulations, Sight Reading
    20 mins -- Break
    60 mins -- varies activites (working on show music, high range, lip slurs, etc.)

So do you guys have any suggestions or comments? I would greatly appreciate them.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    What about Arban or Clarke Technical Studies. Also you do not have to have a private teacher you see every week. If money is tight take a lesson every two weeks or once a month.

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    True
    I had a clark book once but I gave it to a friend

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

While that is very generous, clarke studies are everyone's best friend. or worst enemy if you don't want to improve...
    and i'll second the call for the arban, much of it can be found online

5. trptgk02

trptgk02 New Friend

Jan 29, 2009
    I work about 10-15 minutes out of my arban every day. Good stuff and there is so much you can do.

6. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I agree, the Arban is a very good and complete trumpet technique book. It has everything from multiple tonguing to lip slurs and characteristic studies.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I don't see scales or finger exercises (Clarke, Arban). Clarke is especially good for developing fingers and lip slurring is involved in many exercises. You can work the fingers while you take those 20-minute breaks too.

You mention high range twice, but do not mention LOW range. I'm not talking pedals, although they are great for your embouchure, but working on high range often makes articulation below the staff difficult. The interval exercises in Arban are good for working on both ends of the range. If you've got good triple and double tonguing, do they work as well under the staff? Playing down there takes more air and this makes articulation harder, in addition to challenging your air management. There should not be appreciable relaxation of facial muscles when playing lower pitches. If you relax when you go down your setup will not work when you go higher, and manipulating your setup to go back and forth will wear you out.

Still, it seems as if you've got a pretty good routine.
    veery

8. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Once I stopped keeping track of the amount of time I spent on each individual thing and logging everything meticulously, I started enjoying practice a lot more and I've actually been way more efficient. Because now I do the things I feel like I need to do rather than going "okay I need 15 minutes of long tones, 15 minutes of lip slurs then move onto the other stuff". I mean, I've still got a daily warmup and stuff I try to do every day.

However, when I was pushing myself to spend a certain amount of time playing a certain thing I'd just get sick of playing. Nowadays I can't wait to pick the horn back up again.

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    As a senior in high school, where do you find time for two and a half hours of practice?

No homework in other classes?

No social life?

10. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Keep up the good works, DC108, It's good to see most replies here have been helpful.

For the rest of us, I just want to remind that he stated he is a Junior, not a Senior.
    Also, practice and rehearsals with band mates can become a very pleasant social life.
    And in the midst one forgets to mention, the job.... you probably also have a part time job?
    One more, we are each given 24 hours in a day. it is up to each of of us how we choose to use them.

I am 44 years old and I say unto all of you. Use those hours wisely.

The hour you have now you won't ever have again.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009