At home Practice???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Mar 3, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I remember the military bands using the Watkins-Farnum books to test sight reading ability. They were written "almost" musically. They were off just enough to make sure that you were REALLY paying attention.

Sight reading is practice. Grab anything that you can: clarinet, oboe and saxaphone music too. You can't get enough of it. I would also recommend not lumping music into the "assorted stuff" section of your practice session. That is a dumb thing that many players do. Music deserves the most prominent place in ANY routine. It is just plain stupid to put music at the end when we are wasted. With 2 1/2 hours, 1 hour should be tunes - right after the long tones and slurs.

2. Bugleboy21

Bugleboy21 Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2005
    Fort Eustis, VA
    If there are any Armed Forces School of Music (Army, Navy, Marine Corps) faculty, staff, or students here, please correct me:

I was recently at the school for the Army's NCO Academy and I saw the current list of issued books for the trumpet studio. It included Arban, Clarke, Vizzuti, methods; various etude books ranging from HS level to 2nd year college level; and of course a large collection of marches. I would recommend getting those books now, if possible. One goal for the Army is to get you to sightread at least grade IV literature. THE goal, in my opinion, is to make sure you can function as a trumpeter in a variety of ensembles with no other help on your stand for your part. We aim to perform anything from patriotic, symphonic, wind ens, jazz, pop, rock, and in a number of deployed bands: latin! (Latin dance night at the moral centers in Iraq were a huge hit both times I was there).

It is a fantastic experience and I highly recommend it for both those looking for college money or for those who have BM's, MM's, and DMA's looking for a playing gig that WILL pay for their student loans (current rate is up to $65k) I can't help to do some recruiting here, but overall we need more trumpet players in the Army Bands program. Please visit www.bands.army.mil for lots more info. If anyone wants to chat about what we do privately, I am way open for that!

Larry

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Thanks

I get off of school at 1:45 pm, and then I work until 6:30. So after homework and such I'm ready to practice around 7:45ish. I find good useful time everyday to practice on my horn. I only recently moved here because my father is military (stationed at Fort Eustis), so my "social life" right now pretty much only consists of Myspace and Facebook. My local stored doesn't carry Arban so I'm going to have to get one online. As for not lumping music together, I see your point. Should I start with chorals and end with fast marchs?

4. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Spirit,
    Go for the 26th army band in Brooklyn NY, your right there in the city, great music schools, lots of playing oportunities, and you get room and board while you do it !!
    I was there in the 70's, awesome band....and a fun time !

Hoghorn

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you're really strapped for cash, there is an old (public domain) version of Arban's on-line. It only has 100 pages or so (and it's a very large PDF file) but it's better than not having it.

You can find the link on this page: Mp3

Here is the direct link to the (very large) pdf: http://www.bigbrowncow.com/files/arban.pdf

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    It is GREAT!! that you have a routine. You are far ahead of the crowd just by that factor alone. Many people fail to develop a system or method of daily exercise.

Three things I'd recommend:
    1) Think "SWOT" Strenghts, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats
    What are your strong points.
    Where are you weak.
    Are you taking full advantage of opportunities when they arise.
    Are you avoiding the threat of smoking or chewing tobacco or working your trumpet in a detrimental fashion.

After you do this little assessment, ask yourself what you need to work on.
    You're obviously smart and you'll know what you need.

2)I have all my students working out of the SPIT Book (it can be a real butt buster). It'll get you up to speed on 48 of the most common chords and the four basic ways the chords can be used in an improvisational setting.

3)Arbans
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  7. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    Just downloaded that pdf, awesome material. As a struggling comeback player, this will be helpful. Thanks, Bill

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    My pleasure. If you look around that guys site you'll find (free) recording of him and Nick Drozdoff playing most of the studies within the book.

For a comeback player it's nice to actually hear someone else play the studies first so you can hear what they sound like from a more accomplished player.

9. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    The Arbans are pretty amazing.
    And yes having a well rehersed routine was enstill from the begining when i was a tuba player.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Hi c108, as a former U.S. Army musician [1970-1973] I'm telling you it is very important you get a private teacher, there are only so many slots open and plenty of musicians to fill them, some are right out of High School and some are College Grads, so the competition can be tough, you can't be too prepared and you really do need a Clarke and Arban's Book