At home Practice???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Mar 3, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I can't afford one, and I've looked for one around here that will only do a monthly lesson. AND NO DICE. All the teachers around here only do 4 month contracts of once a week. IT SUCKS. and I can't drive a ways just for lessons.

2. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    Something you might want to look at in addition to the technical studies is intonation. We use this site here at JMU for our concerts bands to improve intonation with themselves and in relation to the ensemble:

Drones | Douglas Ward

Practice them in unisons and octaves using crescendo/decrescendo, subito changes and extreme dynamics (pppp to fff). Also use articulations to practice maintaing good intonation during different stlyes of articulation. Practice them while changing intervals, beginning with 4ths and 5ths, then move on to other intervals.

If you PM me I may have an extra Arban's laying around that I'll send you.

Bill

3. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Solar Bell, I was thinking the same thing...Study Time? Wow, things have certainly changed when I was in school.

Arban's is a definate must. You can find all of the studies online and correct yourself or you can get the two CD set that has everything in Arbans: Hunt Plays Arban. It can be found at Amazon.com or you can contact B-Flat Music Production online and order it.

Good luck!

4. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Reading your schedule, it seems like you do what I did in high school. I don't know how you sound so this could be completely off, but you could probably use some low note practice (maybe pedal tones), and most importantly, melodic music. Melodic music is more challenging than you might think. Pick up Lyrical Studies by Concone. It's a small book, probably from 10-15 dollars. It's all lyrical exercises. It will help you a lot with making music out of anything you are given, and understand how to play without dynamic markings and make long notes not boring. I would play the longer exercises, and the slow ones mostly.
    Consistent with everyone else, Clarke and Arban are great methods. Maybe pick up a new solo that isn't like what you've played before too? Solo's are more fun than etudes, so a new one that is challenging in a different aspect will be able to help you also.

5. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    So no joke. I came home yesterday from school and a dog ran up to me. A old man walked up and introduced himself and his dog. He says he lives 2 housed down from me and he noticed my trumpet case. HE IS A EX TRUMPET PROFESSOR, and he want's to give me lessons because he's retired and bored out of his mind. I couldn't even sleep last night I felt so excited

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If a player REALLY wants to get lessons, NOTHING can stop them. Excuses just mean that the desire is not serious enough. I hope that this works for you. The Army bands really do require solid basics, reading, intonation and ambition.

7. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Here's a question. I've been told I play on my inner lips. My director told me I kinda do a kissy face then I place my MP. I haven't really noticed this. Is this bad should do play on all my lips. Or should I just keep going on.

8. The Big L

The Big L New Friend

Feb 14, 2009
    Do you have fairly large/full/thick lips? Another way of asking this is, do you seem to have more red lip material than, say, the majority of people you see? You mentioned that you used to play Tuba, and most of the Tuba players I knew in high school had relatively thick lips. That could be an overly broad generalization based on a limited sample size though.

If you have larger/fuller/thicker lips you may be doing what is called "playing in the red", where at least part of the red in the upper lip is touching (or even above) the rim of the mouthpiece. Some instructors say to avoid playing in the red at all costs, and others don't mind it as much. I'm struggling with finding the right answer for myself on this issue.

9. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Clarke Studies and a metronome!!!! Start SLOW and work on accuracy! And PAY ATTENTION to the dynamics!!!! VERY important! Read as much material as you can... if at first sight, it scares you a little or you want to turn to the next page, that's the one for you!

Keith
    Welcome to Brass Player Solution

10. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I know a Tuba player with thin lips, everyone's different.

I have thick lips, and I curl them in a bit when I play. But are you puckering, or just putting the horn up? If you're not puckering, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're playing with the actual inside, i.e. like the cheek, that might be a detriment later on.