At home Practice???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Mar 3, 2009.

1. The Big L

The Big L New Friend

Feb 14, 2009
    Hence my disclaimer about making a broad generalization! :-)

But he did mention the tuba history in addition to what sounds like playing in the red on the trumpet. That was enough to make a reasonable guess that he might be a relatively thick lipped player (as I am).

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009

3. carltonsstudent

carltonsstudent New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    It seems that you are getting in quite a bit of playing with the bands at school but you really should be taking lessons. One area of playing you did not mention is playing duets with a friend. I suggest you find time to play duets with a friend, preferably one who is taking lessons. He or she will undoubtly share information they have obtained from their lessons with you and playing duets are extremely beneficial for many reasons.

4. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    Does it have to be the Army bands, or will other branches of service work as well? I'd suggest having an open mind about that, just in case the Army doesn't work out.

Another possibility is to practice and improve so you could work toward college scholarships, majoring in music. Then you could again look at joining a military band, with a much stronger resume under your belt.

5. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    When I saw Maynard for the first time I met his lead player at the time, Stan Mark in the hallway and he was nice enough to talk to a wide eyed high school kid. I asked him how he built his range. He told me lots of hymns and marches. So you can add that to the list of good things already mentioned.
    Bob