At What Tempo Should I Double Tongue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    I'm wondering exactly what is the best tempo to switch to double tonguing. I forgot what my teacher said.

Like, what tempo should I single tongue at. 0-120 BPM right. Then double tonguing is above that?

2. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    I generally perform a double or triple-tongue if it feels more natural for me to do so. There's no rule where if your music is at 121bpm+ you should double-tongue every sixteenth note. Just do it where it's most comfortable for you.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    The single and multiple tongue speeds need to overlap. You need to single tonge fast enough and multiple tongue slow enough so that you're never caught in between and both sound good enough for performance. Where you change will be up to you, as long as it sounds good!

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Passion,
    double tonguing "sounds" different. Depending on the piece, I will double tongue starting at quarter=100, or sometimes single tongue at quarter=144. It just depends.

In the beginning, you need to see what works in the practice room and stick with that when others are listening. The audience could care less, they are only there for the music. Just make it work, whatever you do