ATLANTA TRUMPET FESTIVAL

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Sep 18, 2005.

1. averagejoe

averagejoe Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Over 100 participants registered.

Starts Friday -- not too late to register!

See you all there,

Paul Poovey

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    were do we meet on Friday for registration, the Schwartz Center?

Paul and Alex, do you plan on playing in the ensembles?

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Jason. I hope you are having a great time at the festival. I have been out of town for weeks until yesterday and regretfully have too many commitments to attend this year. Let us know how it goes.

BTW...your avatar is a nice photo of Chris.

4. averagejoe

averagejoe Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    My review of the festival:

After such a magical first year in 2004, it would be easy to think a "sophomore slump" might be the order of the day for the second annual Atlanta Trumpet Festival, but all possible skepticism was swept away in 2005!

Every participant -- large and small, beginner to professional -- had the same opportunities to interact with world-class musicians and teachers, and the hand-chosen ensemble directors put their hearts and souls into making sure each player was challenged in some new and exciting area of performance. Under the leadership of Dr. Brad Ulrich, Mr. Charles Brown, and Mr. Chuck Jackson, every ensemble showed marked improvement over last year in the gala concert. Mr. Peter Bond (Trumpeter in the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra), Dr. Ulrich (Professor of Trumpet at Western Carolina University), and Dr. Gordon Vernick (Director of Jazz Studies at Georgia State University) complimented each other perfectly as clinicians in showing us multiple "facets" in the trumpet-player's "diamond" of experiences.

Even Mr. Bond's recital was meticulously planned. He demonstrated virtuosic command of a number of different instruments, and his carefully planned repertoire had something for every age and experience level. From the demanding opening the Enesco "Legende" (performed on Bb rotary trumpet, no less!), the audience was aware that they were watching a rare and special performer. Other notable pieces included a breathtaking arrangement of Bach's 1st Cello Suite (transcribed by Mr. Bond himself), Arban’s “Carnival of Venice†on period equipment, bar-setting performances of the staples "Andante et Allegro" by Ropartz and the “Andante et Scherzo†by Barat for the budding soloist, and reaching back to his DCI days, a scintillating performance of the Mendez arrangement of “La Virgin de la Macarena,†complete with a crushing high-E to end the concert. Regardless of experience or background, there was something for everyone to chew on.

There aren't many instrument-specific events where every age and stage of playing is represented and nurtured equally. The Atlanta Trumpet Festival is carving out a niche for itself this way...every "i" was dotted, and every "t" was crossed. It was clear this year that organizers Kay Fairchild, David Fairchild, and Stanford Thompson (Director of Operations) have firmly established a recipe for success. Now it might seem odd to call anything "established" after only two events, but they already have the basics laid out for the next 10 years, with firm plans for 2006 and 2007 already in place. Dr. Scott Stewart (Director of Bands at Emory University) has graciously provided a home for the festival at the incredible Schwartz Center for the Performing arts and the beautiful Emerson Concert Hall on Emory's campus. The festival is in good hands!

I want to personally express my gratitude to Kay, David, Stanford, and the rest of the ATE for using their incredible creative and organizational skills to pull this off.

I can't wait for next year!

Paul Poovey