Attempted Account Hack

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rufflicks, Aug 18, 2015.

1. scottfsmith

scottfsmith Pianissimo User

Jul 2, 2014
    Maryland
    I also got one of those emails, the hacker was in France.. it sounds like something kids would do, what real profit is there to be had?

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Yes. That is true.
    I promise to not wait for the advent of robots for that. Soon, my friend.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Well for one thing you get to see a verified working email address (from your profile page) which you can add to a trove of other ones. Or you can change that address to one you control and can start using your TM identity to start some social hacking using the trust that account has with the TM friends (if any) that account has. Paranoid maybe?

--bumblebee

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    There are many ugly creatures out there who take great pleasure in harming others. No profit necessary; for these creatures evil is its own reward.

5. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Hey I remembered my new password! Well I hope that my cyber threat is over thank you all for the information and conversation.

Jon

6. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    I hadn't seen this thread, so posted almost exactly the same just now. Except the IP address was 185.36.100.145

Oh goodness, they might find out that I don't like plastic trumpets! WHAT THEN???? ROFL

7. karmabiker

karmabiker New Friend

Dec 3, 2012
    most likely an APT (Advanced Persistent Threat), given the range and distribution of IP address involved it is most likely an advanced hack looking to gain control of the server for other nefarious deeds, not necessarily for our individual account info.

8. karmabiker

karmabiker New Friend

Dec 3, 2012
    Best advice at this point is to set your trumpet master account password to something completely unique and ensure that there is no PII (personally identifiable information) stored on your TM profile (please don't use your real birthday ...)