Attempting to give lessons...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by supposeda3, Sep 28, 2012.

1. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    Wow, its been a while since I posted here!

Anyway, an older, retired gentlemen from my area is asking me for a few lessons, since he just bought a trumpet. I dont believe he has much (if any) experience with music, but I know he is just starting to fiddle around with his new horn. He knows I'm not very comfortable with the thought of me giving lessons but he'd like some guidance getting started. Due to our schedules, we have 2 weeks before the first lesson. In the meantime, I was wondering what you guys think: Any advice on teaching an older beginner?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    As an older retired gentleman myself I say go for it, take things slowly, start with the very basics, a starter book, I dont know the current ones, it was "A Tune A Day" or "Learn as You Play" when I took up trumpet 27 years ago. I can recommend Greg Spence's "The only No Mystery guide to Trumpet Mastery". Also a book of simple tunes for trumpet to make things more interesting.

Be prepared to teach the absolute fundamentals of counting, rythmn, reading music as well as playing the instrument, also get him to do a lot of listening to trumpet music.

You will find this very satisfying yourself and can learn a lot in the process.

I had a student some years ago in his mid 30s who had inherited his grandfather's old trumpet and wanted to learn to play it. He had no sense of rythmn or pitch and had never listened to much music. After 1 year of lessons 1hr weekly, he could play most of the major scales from memory, play to a good high C and sight read simple music.

PM me if you would like further discussion.

Regards, Stuart.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah, just remember this one thing ----- WHEN YOU started the trumpet (30, 40, years ago) -- REMEMBER the most important thing??? it was making sounds on the trumpet -----AND ACTUALLY IN A FEW WEEKS playing something simple --- like Yankee Doodle, or Mary Had a Little Lamb ---- YOU know something like that.
    DONT BE INTIMIDATED ---- help the guy!! play some notes ---- and some very simple tunes ------ THAT IS WHAT WILL GET HIM HOOKED ON THE TRUMPET.

YES -- you can do it, you should do it, and it will benefit everyone involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is my opinion -- which is always right anyhow!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    IMHO, I agree with everything above. Start with simple, easily reachable milestones, so he sees progress. I don't think anything beats knowing you're improving, even if only slightly.

I'm certainly not embarrassed to admit that when I started my comeback, I first tackled "Mary Had a Little Lamb" & "Twinkle Twinkle." After mastering them (with some jazzy tweaks), I felt quite accomplished. (It should be noted that my standing ovations are by my 7yo twins; and according to them, I am "the best trumpet player in whole wide world, except for that guy Wynton Marsalis." :D

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a guy that wants me to do the same thing! I posted to stay in the loop on what will be a good thread!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and that my friend is a RATHER PRICELESS RESPONSE --- standing O's from your kids!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!

7. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Thank you!! Honestly, this entire experience of introducing & teaching my kids to play horns has been absolutely priceless. Just last week, my daughter finally solidified her embouchure to the point that she no longer struggles to play a soft middle C (She had to overblow to hit it.) So for the past week, she randomly grabs the closest horn & MP, walks over to me, and squarely hits that C...then moves right on up to E before giving me an emphatic high-five!! Indeed, truly priceless!! :thumbsup:

PS: For the record,"are" above should've been "were," since they just turned 8! :D

kingtrumpet likes this.
  8. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    A good theme song for the Senior starting any instrument should be, "Anything you can do, I can do better!"