ATTN: COMPUTER GEEKS... TM NEEDS HELP!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Anonymous, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Dear computer geeks... I need some help. I have a Corel WordPerfect Document that has become "corrupt" Is there any software out there that can fix this? What can I do? I have searched the web and found programs that will fix Word documents but no WordPerfect documents. Please Help! Feel free to PM or IM me if you like!

Thanks!

TM

2. nyc_lurker

nyc_lurker New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Corrupt WP doc...

You may be able to open the file in a text editor, extract the relevant text, then paste it back into WP for formatting. Note that you will lose all formatting, tables, etc that way but the core of the content would be intact if the doc isn't too corrupt.

Easiest way to do this is to make a copy of the file, rename the extension from filename.wp* to filename.txt, then open it in wordpad (or simply double-click). Scanning the file content you should be able to pick out the relevant text that makes up the core of the document.

3. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    The next step is to work only in WORD.

I've used Corel Word Perfect, the non Corel Word Perfect before they sold out and realized that the only really reliable program on the market that is integrated with all of the other programs is WORD.

As much as I have been on forums supporting Any Thing But Windows Programs because I was against Bill Gate's monopoly, I've had to come to my senses that his Office programs are really the only going programs that are truly integrated and reliable.

Liad Bar-EL

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I agree , I think your only chance right now is to salvage what you've got. If you can't do that, it'll be a total loss. Remember, ALWAYS backup at least twice. If your saving stuff on floppys alone your playing Russian Roulette with your files. I say make a "backup" folder on your computer, save it there, and in your documents, and on a floppy/removable storage device.
    -J

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Ok I wont use Corel anymore.. When I search the web there seem to be a bunch of free download programs that will recover corrupt Word documents. Is there any program that will recover corrupt WP documents. I can't be the first person with a corrupt WP documnet!

TM

6. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    To my knowledge, WP is corrupt because it has lost the race against WORD. There are still some die hards using it. To be truthful, I prefer WP over WORD; however, it became so underdeveloped compared to WORD.

My best advice to you is to hook up with a WP forum if they still have them and ask your question(s) there.

Liad Bar-EL

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Ok well I just dropped 20 bones to have some company recover it and send it to me via email. It looks like they were able to get most of it!

TM

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    What TM didn't say in his message is what he told me in chat last night. The info that got really corrupted were the footnotes and references, rather than the main text body. Word uses a special way of inserting footnotes etc. so it was probably those "codes" that screwed the pooch for him.

FWIW, I always enjoyed using WordPerfect and really didn't find it more or less difficult to use than Word (although Word obviously has greater MS integration).