audition advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Feb 26, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey all

I am slotted for an audition on April 10th. This is for a full time military job (Canadian Military). On the audition requirements it asks for a mandatory selection (pick from the Hummel, Hayden, Hindemith and a couple others) and extra "commercial" selection, sclaes, chords, sit in's etc etc.

My question is this: What would constitute a good commercial audition piece. I am presently working on Vigen de la Macarena and Cornival of Venice (Staigers). They also suggest that I can use this commercial piece to show off my talent on a second instrument (like flugel). If I chose to play flugel, what is a good piece I could play?

Also, any advice on how to build up my stamina to last through this whole audition would be greatly accepted.

Thanks
    Eric

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Eric-
    I tend to think of "commercial" as the opposite of "legit." Neither of those terms means anything in the real world, but in the few instances where I have been asked for "commercial" playing, I pull out my book of Sammy Nestico (Count Basie) lead parts and play something from there.
    -Jimi

3. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey Jimi thanks

so if I pick out something from our big band library and just play thorugh some of the lead part that would be considered a commercial selection?

thanks again
    E.

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Eric,
    That would be my guess. Don't be afraid to call whoever is running the audition and ask for clarification. The committee would much rather you call and clarify than come in and play the wrong stuff.
    -Jimi

5. someone

someone Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2006
    California
    What's in that book? I did a search on google and still couldn't find a list of songs it contained.

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston