Audition etiquette

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by tpter1, Sep 19, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    This is sort of touched on in another thread, but I didn't want to hijack.

If my performance resume is lacking in the recent experience department, but I want to get heard, even after getting one of those polite "We have many qualified candidates" letters, what are my chances of getting heard?

Am I being rude or presumptiuous by asking the commitee to listen to me even though my resume does not suit their requirements?

*(I edited the title...it seemed a little whiney sounding to me after re-reading it).

Have any of you had experience or know anyone who has had this experience or success in similar situations?

2. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    I don't think it's rude OR presumptiuous to ask to be heard. I don't know the validity of the story, but rumor has it that when a certain principal trumpet of a major symphony orchestra applied to audition, he was rejected because of his lack of experience. He persisted, and they finally gave in. He made it thru all of the rounds, but the orchestra committee was still weary about giving him the gig. They kept holding auditions, and he was always the pick. They finally gave in (no, it's not Chris Martin)...

long story short...have your teacher call, or call yourself. Most orchestras will hear you even if you're "rejected", I think..

it's at least worth a try. At worst what will they say. "Man this guy really wants the gig"

good luck

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Go for it. Be persistent and be heard, Glenn.

ML