Audition list triage

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Jimi Michiel, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hi Manny,
    I'm trying to work out an approach to preparing and taking the audition for Tanglewood (see complete excerpt list below). So far, I've grouped the Debussy and Ravel as excerpts that can do more harm than good. I just want to get them solid without having to take any chances. Don Juan and the Copland are the two excerpts that I think I can really try to distinguish myself. Death and Transfiguration is somewhere in the middle: it's really hard to play this one "safe," but it requires such accuracy that I'm hesitant to really go for it. I'm really not sure about the Stravinsky. I'm completely comfortable with the excerpt, but other than playing with control and good rhythm, I'm having trouble finding ways to really make this excerpt stand out as particularly good. Any suggestions/comments would really be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
    Jimi

COPLAND Outdoor Overture: mm 16-34
    DEBUSSY Fêtes, 9 mm before rhl 10 to rhl 11
    RAVEL Piano Concerto in G, mvt I: rhl 2 to rhl 3
    STRAUSS Death and Transfiguration: Tranquillo, 12 mm after rhl Y to the end
    STRAUSS Don Juan, 5 mm after rhl F to 3 mm before rhl G
    STRAVINSKY The Firebird, Katschei's Dance: 4 mm before rhl 2 to rhl 3; rhl 8 through 2 mm after rhl 11

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jimi,

You're WAY too good a player to be worrying about the things you're worrying about. Gimme a call. We need to get together when you mend from the surgery.

You just need an "attitude adjustment". :-)

I'm working on recital stuff right now and it's amazing how much of that work is sheer attitude!

ML[/url]

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    hey Manny,
    The reason I'm approaching this the way I am is in part because of an article I read on Jay Friedman's website:

http://www.jayfriedman.net/reflections/20050908Win_some,_Lose_some.php

I think he has some good ideas, but maybe I'm just taking it a little too far. I get back to Minneapolis on the 17th, so I'll give you a call and hopefully set something up before you leave for your trip.
    Thanks as always,
    Jimi

4. Calliope

Calliope New Friend

Jun 17, 2005
    Hi Manny-

Are you performing a recital sometime soon? What are you performing? Can you give us the details?

It would be worth driving all the way from Texas to see it!

Thanks,
    Laura

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Do you have a boat?

It's in Puerto Rico at the Conservatory in a couple of weeks.

I'm practicing for it as I write (well, sort of) and checking in here. Music of the French, German, and Dutch.

Later!
    ML

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    While you are in PR, can you bring back a couple of good Havanas?

;-)

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Havana hear him play! :lol:

8. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Im working on the same list right now. I still have to record the ravel, strauss, and fetes.

I wish I hadnt waited until this week to do it. Listening to the recordings is driving me nuts! I think it sounds really good, but then i listen to it a million times trying to decide which take to send and i hear all the details that need attention. AHHH!

At least I can just use 2 of these excerpts for aspen also. But having a few gigs, 2 recordings, and auditions back at school on tuesday make this pretty stressful.

My advice, just play the crap out of everything! hehe.

Good luck! Maybe Ill see you there. :D

9. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Good luck to you as well! Which audition date/city are you doing?

-Jimi

10. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I dont have the cajones to audition live. I am sending in a CD. Just played fetes about 50 BAZILLION times.

Why do i always leave the hard one until the last day? Ravel, arrugh. Gotta start on that beast tommorow. I have to have it done by sunday because the equipment is my dads and I have to go back to school.