Audition Requirements Needing to Be Met. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetman1989, Oct 7, 2009.

1. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    I'm wanting to go into one of the Navy Fleet Bands sometime after my mission, but I have no idea as to how I'm going to pull off my audition. I was hoping that you guys could give me some tips to help me meet the expectations and/or practice routines. Thanks! Here's the requirements:

Wind Instrument Audition Requirements

1. Prepared solo(s) (applicant's choice), demonstrating both technical and lyrical proficiency. Solo(s) selected should be at least Grade IV difficulty and be considered part of the standard repertoire for that instrument.

I'm lost on this one since I haven't ever been able to afford a teacher except for one term of college. And where would I be able to find this stuff at?

2. Scales (two octaves or more where possible): randomly selected major and minor (natural, harmonic and melodic forms of minor). Triad Arpeggios required.

I'm ok with ONE octave up and down, but I'm having trouble with two octaves. If anybody knows about how the Navy auditions are, please recall if they listen to all the scales, or just a few random ones.

3. Sight reading of standard marches and etubes, as well as wind ensemble and jazz ensemble literature (where applicable).

Any sight reading tips? I'm only ok, but I want to be better. Also, where the heck can I get a copy of the original lead trumpet part to standard marches either for free or a low cost?

Thanks Everybody!!
    Teddy

(And yes, I know I said etubes instead of etudes. I was thinking about YouTube.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Practice, practice, practice. If you intend to compete for a spot in a Navy band you'll probably be competing against very good high school seniors and college students who spend hours playing the horn.

Here's a link to dozens of public domain marches. Print out the lead trumpet and cornet parts and have a blast.

Good luck.

3. trumpetman1989

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    GREAT! :D Thanks! But the link didn't post :(

4. badabing

badabing New Friend

Jun 18, 2008
    simon cowell is my hero.

5. trumpetman1989

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    well too bad simon cowell isn't juding my audition for the United States Navy... lol

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Not sure what happened there. Here's the link:

Read Me First | BandMusic PDF

It's all public domain marches, and many of them appear to be the original arrangements.

7. trumpetman1989

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    Thanks! :) It's going to come in handy. I talked to the Navy today, and they said that the scales are done in a random selection of 4 scales. 1 major, 1 natural minor, 1 harmonic minor, and 1 melodic minor. They also said to look into the Hummel Concerto and the Artunian Concerto. How hard are those? I know Grade IV, but overall, how hard is it for a college kid?

8. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    IIRC, there's a book called March Music Melodies that has the 1st/solo Cornet parts to LOTS of marches - not free but good sightreading stuff - other than that, scales scales and more scales - and diminished arpeggios for all the break strains - TC

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpetman,
    ummmm, if we have to tell you at this point how to play the trumpet, you are going to have a rough time.

Sight reading is learned by doing it a lot. Scales are learned by playing them a lot. My students have a scale a week from the 3rd or 4th lesson. 2 octave scales after a year of lessons.

A solo that shows what YOU can do is not something that we can pick out of the blue without hearing you play.

The Arutunian need quick fingers and strong sense of harmony. The scales in that piece are Armenian and a bit unusual. The Hummel is fun but needs a quick tongue. Both require good practice habits to make them sound clean.

The Jazz literature is something that you should be able to play in style and with the appropriate groove.