Audition Success

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Anonymous, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Dear Mr. L-

I'm trying to figure out a few things about audition success and have a couple of questions.

Whenever I go to an audition there are great players obviously, but only a few that have a certain quality that make them stand out above the rest. They have a certain finese and ease of playing while still being powerful and expressive. How can one achieve this balance?

Also, when you listen to auditions, what are qualities that make a person stand out as either a great player or a non-contender for the job?

Thanks!

2. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    ML

if i may i woud like to ADD to this question....

what is it that has the most bearing TO YOU in an audition....is it tone, intonation,articluation etc etc <i know it varies from person to person, but im curious>

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    PT and TG,

It is the ease of playing that allows one to be the most musician they can, I think. A great player can pick up a horn and just sing on it... and I mean that literally, that it should sound like a voice singing. The more a horn is made to sing, the closer music is to the heart. That is what an audition committee hears when it likes someone, that quality of song unemcumbered by the metal between the player and the audience listening.

Ease of playing is exactly that: easy. Whether it's in a loud excerpt or a soft one, it makes no difference. I have to hear that the person playing is in complete control over their interpration , that nothing is arbitrary. Rather, all the notes are purposeful.

For me, the playing must be in tune and phrased well. I detest musical stupidity. I want to hear that the person is a thoughtful musician that has made good choices in phrasing and not always making the high note in a phrase the high point of the phrase.

ML

4. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    thnx manny