Audition tale

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by tpter1, Jul 8, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    We all have some stories to tell, I'm sure. Here's mine.

Yesterday I auditioned for a small orchestra about 3 hours soputh of where I am now. Sunds far, but in the boonies where I live (if you made a map of nopwhere and put an x in the center you wouold find us), it is one of the closest.

I arrived about an hour and a half early. So, I stopped at the grocery store and hit the salad bar for lunch, borught it to a nearby park, ate, and still had time to take a short hike in the woods on one of the well-groomed trails before I had to be at the appointed place. Nice opportunity to gather my thoughts and maybe have a visualization for Pines of Rome, and a "quiet spot" for calming nerves. On the way out, I was listening to birds, smelling the wonderful smells, when a new and rather unpleasent smell mixed into my olifactory experience. Coupled with a squish, I suspected immediately what had happened.

A quick lift off the foot for examination revealed and confirmed the truth: yes, there on the bottom of my shoe were the remains of the by-product of canine ingestion. Not 20 minutes before I wanted to be there for the audition for principal trumpet, I was scraping Fido's excrement from the bottom of my shoe.

There is a moral here; undeniable, humorous, and very real. It will "stick" with me, and keep me reminded of humanness whenever I lose track and don't pay attention to it.

I did not, by the way, win the job. Not because I "stunk" or played like "s]p[it"; I can pinpoint the split second occurance that cost me the audition. I simply stepped in doggy-doo, and now must wipe it off and continue.

2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I just bought a brandnew pair of shoes the other day, and within 10 mins of wearing them I steped in dog crap...

Sorry you didn't get the job... Sounds like you still have a pretty positive attitude though, thats always a good thing. Who knows, maybe the guy they picked will get hit by a bus tomarow rendering his ability to play in tune and they'll come back to you!
    It's like they say in Monty Pythons' Spamalot: "Always look on the bright side of life."

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Tpter1,

Not an audition, but a recital... also in New York (upstate)...

April.. Junior Recital... Saturday 7PM... at 1PM I decided it would be nice to take a hike in the woods behind the college... I got freakin LOST... I found my way out at 5PM... it was already getting dark...

I had just enough time to shower and get to the music building :oops:

4. trmpt_chica

trmpt_chica New Friend

Jun 29, 2005
    CALIFORNIA BABY!
    i remeber tryin out for Honor band OMG! i was like the last person there since i had like gotten up two hours late and had to shower and stuff ( i wanted the judge to be able to reamain standing) when i walked in My judge was my summer jazz band teacher and i was all like ah CRUD :bash: ( hes my band teachers brother, Mr. Kraus with hair! :-P ) and i played third trumpet on the piece we were to try out on (great locomotive chase) in regular band and i had to try out on first trmpt Double CRUD! This one was like above the staff notes and stuff so i wrote out the solo part i was to play in a lower register. i guess i impressed him cause i GOT IN HONOR BAND! then i was the only female trumpeter among real cute guys ;-) hehehehehehe

5. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    A tale to share..We were picked to march at a Minnesota Vikings/ Baltimore Colts(Back in the day) football game at the Metrodome here in Minnesota. The uniform was a bit beaten up instead of a snap or button for the pants, it had a diaper clip. Well during the HT show the snap came undone and down start coming my pants so for the remainder of the show I had to march with one hand on the horn and the other hand holding up my pants. :lol: Very crazy but we got thru the show. :oops:

6. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    That happend to me in practice once... I forgot to wear a belt on that day and my pants fell down halfway though the 1st movments. I held them up for a while, but it was getting distracting, so about half way though the 2nd movment I gave up and just kicked my short off and threw them to the sideline. I just marched the remainder of the show in my boxers...

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Trumpetblower88,

Funny story.

I just can't resist commenting on you young folks wearing your pants ALREADY half way off... :lol:

Just messin with you... ;-)

8. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    oh, no... trust me, I don't wear my pants that way on purpose... I just forgot to wear a belt that day and they came down. I can't stand people who wear their pants hangin down to their ankels...

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    ;-) Trumpet blower 88, Good. Glad to hear it. I'm usually a let it be type of guy, but this fashion (and I use that word loosely) trend of wearing the pants low and showing off the underwear really gets to me... :lol:

You're in Phoenix, did you go to the DCI show in the east valley last Sunday?

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    When you buy a new mute... you are supposed to immediately throw it on the floor.

When you get a new horn, let it bump against the edge of the stand.

When you buy a new pair of shoes...find a pile of dog doo and step in it.

When you get a new car, park it in the smallest spot at WallyMart that you can find and leave it there for an hour.

NOW, with the stress of wondering WHEN the inevitable will happen taken of the way, proceed on with your life.

Oh! The fashion thing..... why is it that the "lardiest" people are the ones who wear the pants the lowest? The ones with the saggiest bellies always have to hang them over the top of their waistbands and wear the "belly shirts"? The people who should know better have to have a tattoo at their lower spine and THEN allow their "T-bars" to show? (Gad.... and they talk about "plumbers' butt"!)